GM Dealer Challenges, Yukon & Tahoe ... Lease Transparency?

If you email a dealer and ask them ‘what their best offer is’ on a brand new in demand vehicle with low inventory, would you expect them to do anything other than shoot for the moon? :speedboat:

I’m kind of shocked that you’ve leased all of these vehicles and expected transparency and no games in the process :laughing:

1 Like

Again, typically when I act like an intelligent human who clearly communicates my asks and expectations… I can find a similarly intelligent human who actually listens and understands my request.

Short of that, I deal with what I’m dealing with… people who literally do not listen or understand.

They don’t have to care because their allocations are probably being sold off the truck to people who don’t even know what an MF is.

You’ve hit the trifecta of “going to lease terribly for a while”

Brand new design :white_check_mark:
Full size :white_check_mark:
In Texas :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Hahaha… Truth!

I get this, but my spoiled wife, unfortunately, does not… she has herself convinced it’s the only vehicle that would possibly work for our family :roll_eyes:

She’s also bluffing me hard saying if we can’t get that it’s another minivan. I offered her a $90k X7 and she turned it down complaining it doesn’t have enough space. #Husbandproblems

1 Like

Call her bluff

3 Likes

100%. This all day long at half the price.

3 Likes

This isn’t a car they have to give away in Texas right now.

1 Like

X7 with a trailer. Let’s go.

3 Likes

They’ll send you the “best offer” right away. Note that “best” here means best to them.

2 Likes

Everyone knows the best strategy for buying a car is to walk up on the showroom like you’re swinging a full size subway and slap the hood or trunk of the car closest to the tower and yell “Who wants to sell a car today?!”

3 Likes

Don’t forget to tell them to “give you their best price!”

This is actually how my grandfather used to negotiate cars.

3 Likes

In any another state that’s a great solution. In Texas I say look at which brands have tax credits

If none exist right now, Ford has 0% APR for 60 months on the Expedition. Amortizing that hideous full tax over 60 months at 0% APR rather than 36 months at a fully marked up MF feels less horrible

4 Likes

Just to be clear… at no point have I asked any dealers for their “Best Offer” :laughing: This is a rumor that somehow originated during this chat and is now being taken as reality.

I specifically explained the lease term I wanted, the incentives and pricing that I qualify for, what Base MF is and that my credit will qualify for base MF and that is all that I am willing to accept. They say great…and when I ask them to please put the numbers on paper for me so that I can confirm before I drive my butt down there they say absolutely. Then when they show me the numbers that are on another planet.

Then Groundhog Day ensues …

2 Likes

Exactly!!! We literally only need all 3 rows with cargo space 1-3 times a year for road trips!

Roof box or tailgate on an X7 would fix that…

There’s a method to the madness. :grin:

1 Like

But see… you are speaking logically

My wife speaks emotion, logic no comprendo

1 Like

See, you say that, but what they’re hearing is “what’s your best offer?”

Give them a specific number and say this is my offer. If you accept, I’ll be there in an hour to take delivery.

Yep…

“Thanks Mr. Dealer for the quote sheet, unfortunately the numbers are a bit higher than I’m looking for. Based on the terms discussed in our previous email/conversation, if you can get to $XXX/mo. payment with $XXX DAS I can be in before close of business today to take delivery.”

Qualifying for Tier 1 rates has no correlation to a dealer leasing a vehicle at base money factor. They have the right to mark it up as high as the market will tolerate (within legal margins, of course). The dealer may mark up the money factor over buy rate no matter what tier a client qualifies for.

Jeff----- You just summarized my mention of Groundhog Day

Being direct is being lost in translation, and often the employees admit they themselves don’t understand how a lease quote works. So the conversation is repeated over and over like a bad dream.

I had one guy tell me “Your presence is your leverage” to which I replied, “No my presence is the dealer’s leverage”.

I think this is a brand process issue personally.