I have been hearing radio ads for GiveMeTheVin.com lately as a competitor to Vroom and Carvana. And while I just closed the deal on my new Jeep Gladiator 2 months ago, I can’t help but submit my info to these companies to see what they would pay for it. I used Vroom to sell my Ram 1500 so I could get into the Gladiator.
So I negotiated my deal from a $45,310 sticker to $39,969 I believe. I’ve had the Gladiator for 2 months and have put 2,400 miles on it.
Carvana- claimed the Gladiator was too new for their algorithm to give me a quote and they never contacted me back
Vroom- Offered me $33,000 which is $1,000 less than my buyout at the end of the 3 year lease lol.
GiveMeTheVin- It took them a few days but they offered me $40,000
How can they offer me the price that I negotiated for the truck new and expect to make money on it? Wouldn’t they be better served to negotiate a deal from a new car dealer for a vehicle with zero miles and sell that?
Like I said, not interested in getting rid of the Jeep but it just had me thinking about how they can make any money with that type of offer.
They probably think they can sell it for more than that. The big advantage online companies have is the data about who is searching for what. There may be 100 people across the country currently searching for exactly your car in your color - when they see search data like that they may assume there’s a buyer for it.
It’s a perfect example of why leasing a new vehicle can be a vastly cheaper route than purchasing. Imagine if you had bought the s90 and found yourself with almost $20k in negative equity.
If you bought it you’d have a lower pay off. It could be much closer to the pay off after 3-4 years. I had $1.7k positive after 4 years on a S60 on a 72 month loan.
Well yah, because you paid way more. Point is it depreciated way more than expected, so your cost of driving the vehicle for those 2-3 years would be significantly higher.