Ghibli $1025/mo 36/12

The head of Masarati was previously the Chrysler brand CEO and head of their dealer network. The guy he replaced went over to Jeep.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20181112/OEM02/181119928/fca-picks-gardner-to-lead-maserati-in-north-america

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil: No influence at all.

Yeah I’m talking about engineering not dealer networks

Yeah so am I.

The interior of the car shares some parts with other Chrysler vehicles. The Uconnect infotainment system is from the Dodge Charger, the window switches come from the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the light switches and the steering column stock are shared with the discontinued Chrysler Town & Country. Buyers have different leather upholstery for the interior to choose from.

Well that’s just the interior, NBD:

https://www.autonews.com/article/20140908/OEM01/309089978/maserati-s-secret-chrysler-makes-its-engine-blocks

Hiding beneath the hood of some of Maserati’s best-selling sedans beats a secret heart of Detroit iron – or rather, Detroit aluminum.

During the summer, workers at Chrysler Group’s Trenton Engine Complex in suburban Detroit with no fanfare have been machining aluminum 3.0-liter V-6 engine blocks under the supervision of Ferrari engineers.

The blocks – cast in Chrysler’s foundry in Kokomo, Ind. – are being shipped to Ferrari S.p.A. in Maranello, Italy, where they are finished for installation into Maserati’s flagship Quattroporte and its new, hot-selling entry-level sedan, the Ghibli.

Which explains why so many of them seem to play “Knock Knock Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” just after the factory warranty ends.

Yes the engine is “engineered by Ferrari”, yes the final assembly is still done in Italy. The top management has been US/Chrysler folks for years.

But feel free to open up a Chilton’s manual and list out all the parts in a Ghibli that don’t show up in any “American” Chrysler vehicles, I’ll wait.

2 Likes

The head unit (which is quite good and universally acclaimed), window switches, and the steering wheel stock. Got it. Because a small boutique car company should be using who’s window switches exactly? Would you feel better if they were fiat switches?

As to the motor so what if the block is manufactured in Michigan. You think Tony does a better job in Maranello?

2 Likes

I agree Surfer.

Does it make people feel better to say it has Chrysler parts? Who cares.

I just don’t get all the hate. And why do I never read anyone hating on Porsches and Lambos saying “ugh, they are related to VW”?

I also feel the need to mention that car manufacturers buy most parts from 3rd-party manufacturers who sell them to multiple car manufacturers. You think the Chrysler factory has a room dedicated to stamping out millions of window switches?

And, hell, if my Stelvio had a Uconnect system, I’d likely still be driving it.

1 Like

That payment is quatroporte territory

1 Like

99% of new car buyers will be happy with their cars at the “right” price. Right price for Ghibli is under $500 imo. Give it to me under $400 and I will write a glowing review how beautiful the window switches are…

1 Like

I can only speak for myself:

During the financial crisis, GM needed a bailout, but Cerberus Capital who owned them at the time wasn’t insolvent, they left Chrysler on the Treasury’s doorstep like a burning bag for the tax payers to deal with. That’s just the legacy Chrysler brands, but a reason I won’t ever own/lease one.

In VW’s case, the cars get more reliable as you move up-brand (Porsche being some if the most reliable). Not the case with FCA, which is why I can’t understand polluting the high-line brands like Alfa and Maserati with any Chrysler parts, they’re just inviting more service visits.

Of course! But Delco and the other parts suppliers make more than one kind of turn signal stalk and window regulator. The more reliable brands are going to insist on the ones that have been engineered to different tolerances, tested for tens and hundreds of thousands of hours that SHOULD (no guarantees) last longer. FCA as an example is more likely to pick the nicer looking and cheaper one.

I’m pulling an example out of the air. I saw some great analysis on this with GM and Saab in the 2010 timeframe that had part numbers and tests and tolerances, can’t put my finger on it at the moment.

I have no shade for someone who wants to drive a fast and attractive check engine light, or who wants to drive brands that took bailout money, but I don’t have the time or tolerance for either in my own life.

4 Likes

I agree, but you misspelled Maserati

1 Like

Thoughtful post, and I get the whole bailout POV. However, I’m fairly sure nobody with any weight in that decision is still there. It would be akin to blaming Trump for the Vietnam War.

I hated the bailout, too, but I don’t blame the automakers for taking the money. I’d be lying if I claimed I would turn down government funds if I was facing bankruptcy. Would any of us seriously be so proud that we’d opt to move our family into a cardboard box?

1 Like

Wow such a far cry from my $542, 36/12k lease on a Ghibli base I got brand new…

2 Likes

$1025 for a Ghibli? LOL. Every time I see one I assume it’s on $500 per month lease. To me, they scream “$30k millionaire”. Of those choices, get the Range Rover Sport.

1 Like

I fixed it just for you papa bear. :bear::+1:t2:

Fellow members… I have been seeing 25-30% off on advertised Ghiblis… Not that crazy about the car, but at that kind of discount, lease seems like a good idea. Thoughts? Has anyone heard anything in regards to these heavily discounted type of leases?Feedback greatly appreciated. Thx.

I see more of those on flat beds then any other car. you could get a m5 close to that with around 5k

2 Likes

Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

One could argue that with a demo one could get an M5 for that on a sign and drive.

That being said, I’m sure it’s a fine car for $5-650/mo but any payment with a comma on one of these (Ghibli) is nuts.

2 Likes

Cat food is also on sale, whether or not you have a cat. I don’t have a cat, so I ignore sales on cat food.

Drive one and see if you like. If you do, lease deal. If not, go find something you like driving.

2 Likes