Getting your maintenance done by third party, not dealer

Wanted to get a discussion going about having service done by the dealer vs third party for brands where free maintenance is not included.

My last 4 leases had free maintenance, but I’ve had car leases in the past where it wasn’t included and the dealer charges way too much for effectively an oil change, filter change and break fluid change and the “100 point inspection” lol.

I’ve never taken a car to a third party for service
As I have always been able to look at several local dealer’s websites and find service coupons and then have my dealer match it (seems to be common practice to match each other’s price) but that won’t work on more expensive brands like Audi or Mercedes. Audi wants about $1000 for 20k service which is just insane.

What are others doing? Any horror stories from having service done by third party?

I’ve had standard maintenance done at 3rd party places on many of my leases without any issue. I just hold on the receipts, but have never been asked for any.

1 Like

What were the savings vs dealer service?

Honestly, I don’t recall. It was more for convenience than anything as the closest dealer was 40+ miles away.

Mercedes dealer service isn’t always expensive if you ask for the specific things and use coupons. Like if “Service B” is basically a glorified package of oil change, cabin filter and brake fluid then just request those items with coupons.

IDK if they still have it but they also had prepaid maintenance credits at 50% off in $50 increments. I prepaid $200 for $400 of work a short while later.

Tbh theirs “essential maintenance” and “recommended maintenance”.

Absolutely does not matter where the service is done as long as the essential maintenance is taken care of.

The recommended services are up to you.

Keep receipts for parts and/or labor.

The horror stories exist everywhere, I have seen dealer oil changes end up with a new engine (forgot to screw the drain bolt).

I had a dealer forget to put my dipstick back in on an oil change… and forget to drain the old oil out first.

Fortunately, the dipstick hole asked as a great place for the extra oil to come out of without damaging the motor. Was a little messy though.

1 Like

It matters. If the service is free, having it done at the dealer could be a requirement of not voiding your warranty.

I’ve seen people forego free service (inconvenience, too far, etc.) and assume it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re talking German cars, but Honda and Toyota dealerships often offer same service for a lot less than Acura and Lexus dealerships. My indy BMW shop isn’t much cheaper than the dealer but I think they actually do a better job.

I’ve seen Mercedes (autovin) charge for not doing a service that was required during end of lease return

Who offered it? Specific dealer? Is it always avail or was it a special for a certain amount of time?

Saw a Silverado fall off a lift from about six feet up and land on its side. One of the loudest noises I’ve ever heard. Missed the tech by about a foot. Customer was pretty cool about it. They had a loaner waiting for him when they broke the news. Likely one of the most expensive oil changes that dealer ever did.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good tip… about how much cheaper?

Around 40% when I used to take my RX to the Toyota dealership, but that Toyota dealership has a shuttle to the outlet mall and my wife would volunteered to take the car, YMMV :laughing:

1 Like

about 20 years ago, had my car hit by the dealership parts truck. I would have been cool about it too if the dealership didn’t try to lie about the incident and try to fix / paint the car without even talking to me while telling me on the phone that I can’t pick up the car from regular service because they had no parts, then it was stuck on the lift and when I got pissed and just drove down there it went as far as we can’t find your car. Only after cops showed up to take down stolen vehicle report did we find out that the car was in a 3rd party body shop.

4 Likes

I bet there was a CEL or an advisory note on the car dash. Inspectors can’t figure it out on their own.

That would be illegal. Just because you offer free oil changes you can’t make someone get the oil changed at the dealership.

Semi-related, Massachusetts voters passed a broad right to repair law last November. Going to be interesting to see how manufacturers respond. If manufacturers thought this movement was going to be limited to Massachusetts I’d guess some lower volume brands would just stopped doing business in MA to avoid compliance. But while car dealers are super effective at buying state legislatures, they have been very ineffective at swaying voters against right to repair voter initiatives. So this is probably not the last time a similar voter initiative will pass in USA.

3 Likes

Certain things I just flat out refuse to do regardless of where I go. Unless it’s priced right why on earth would I pay someone to put an air filter or cabin filter in for me? I did have a nice chuckle when I went to put a new cabin filter in my Acadia and discovered that they were using Torx screws to secure the panel in place behind the glove box. I’ve got Torx screwdrivers and bits, but what a dick move. The GM rewards program is nice since it essentially gives you an oil change and rotation or two for free (or close to it) if you play your cards right.

2 Likes

I see a cheating scenario happening where cars will open up only while physically present in MA as reported by cars own systems, and then on top of that require a million dollar decrypting computer or some other stupid stunt, don’t know how the law is phrased and if it will allow for loopholes like that.

Why would, the place of service be important?

Free services simply remove the cost associated with performing said service. If you can provide satisfactory evidence of service, albeit with parts and receipts, not much can be said. They’d have to provide irrefutable direct evidence that the service was subpar and caused the failure.

I do have to agree though, if you need a warranty repair, having all services performed at the dealership allows for customers to not worry about documentation and records. In addition, one probably has had a chance to build a relationship with the SA.