Getting out of lease with a new lease question

Hi All,
We have a 2017 Acura ILX premium pkg @ 279/Mo with 14 months left ($3,906 remaining in lease payments).

Is it possible to get into a new lease without rolling over the 3,906 into a new contract? I’m assuming we’re on the hook for this amount but want to find out for sure. If so, we’ll just ride out the lease.

Would like to get into a RAV4 or CRV but open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

-Rob

So you want to get out of your lease? You could be over mileage, in need of a larger or smaller car, or simply desire something new.

First, check to see if the bank your lease is through permits lease transfers here: http://www.swapalease.com/help/lease-company.aspx

Some companies, such as BMW have relatively few restrictions, while others such as Infiniti require the original lessee to remain liable if anything happens to the vehicle. Others, such as Hyundai, do not permit transfers at all.

Assuming you can transfer your lease:

If you got a great Hackr deal, you could post it in the marketplace section to gauge interest.

If you didn’t get a good deal, you should probably post it on Swapalease. Anyone with half a brain on Leasehackr doesn’t want to pay $550 for your stripper 320i with manual seats. Sometimes a cash incentive that effectively reduces the payment is necessary if it is not a good deal or if there are few miles remaining.

If you can’t transfer your lease (or believe you could have equity), see how much Vroom, Carvana, Carmax, etc. will offer for your car. If their offer is higher than the buyout, you will receive a check for the difference. If their offer is lower, then you would be required to pay the difference. It also makes sense to check to see if you have any positive equity at lease-end. This will avoid the disposition fee and any wear and tear. Please note, some companies, such as Ford, give dealers different buyouts than you, the lessee.

If you have negative equity (you owe more than it is worth), you have several options. One common option is to negotiate with the dealer to decide whether it’s better to make your remaining payments and return the vehicle or have the dealer buy out your lease and apply the negative equity towards a new lease.

Assume you have a lease with a $200 monthly payment and you have 5 payments left to pay and the disposition fee (let’s assume $395 for Chevrolet). The dealer could pay $1000 to close that lease and add those payments to a new lease (and you would receive a bill for the disposition fee). Adding $1000 in negative equity adds approximately $33 a month to your new lease (assuming 36 months).

If you believe that you must get out of your lease because of mileage overage, first look into whether or not you can prepay ahead for miles at a discounted rate. Some manufacturers have programs that allow this.

2 Likes

If you aren’t with Honda Financial you can try to do a lease swap.

You can check KBB trade-in value of your car and see if it’s close to the current buyout amount, in which case you can sell it to a dealer.

Thanks for the replies thus far.
Financed through Acura Financial.

Payoff amount from Acura:

Values I’ve received from:
KBB 15,349
Carvana: 16,516

Mileage:
~21k

So in conclusion you have a ton of negative equity and no good way to get out of the lease. Either pay $3500 to get out and have negative equity or get blessed find a snowy off ramp in April.

The payoff from Acura could include tax, and if it does, you might not be screwed as badly

Ok, that’s what I was thinking. We’ll just ride it out.

Do you have suggestions for which vehicles wouldn’t put me in a negative equity position in my next lease? Thoughts on CRV or RAV4?

Thank you.

Everything will put you in a negative equity situation because you will be rolling in negative equity. No magical way out of it unfortunately.
CR-V and RAV4 both lease atrociously.

I should have specified. I meant my next lease after I ride it out for 14 months so I don’t have to transfer that negative equity.

Good to know about those 2, thanks.

Nobody knows what leases are going to be like in 14 months. If you ride it out, you won’t have any negative equity.

1 Like

Thanks for the help.

Can you explain why the leases for the CRV and RAV4 are horrible?

Is that still the case if the intention is to buy at the end of the lease?

High MF and low RV on CR-V makes lease to buy idiotic because you can get a lower interest rate with financing. Not sure why RAV4 leases poorly aside from the small discount offered (never looked into it because I find the new one to be hideous)

1 Like

You should just buy it day one then.

Have you done any research at all?

1 Like

Just starting!

I am under my mileage only at 3445 mi on a 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback SE, Wondering if it is a better option to try to either transfer the lease with swapalease or if I should go to the dealership and see if I can get a different vehicle for a shorter term? I leased it for 36mo I have 27 mo left my payments are 370.58 mo and all of the maintenance is covered until the end of the lease. Buyout is said to be 20, 145 or so…Doubt I could purchase/finance it and sell it for close to that amount and not eat 2k or more…
I really need to start saving money and work from home now so do not need the 2nd vehicle anymore. Thoughts? Advice… Much appreciated, Thank you.

Don’t bump year old threads