Geico is terminating my insurance after a not at fault accident

Unfortunately, they are going to be putting everything under a microscope because you just picked up the policy. Had a friend go through almost the exact same scenario (except accident occurred 3 days after the policy), and they had to deal with lots of scrutiny

Why You notified Your insurance if the claim is a 100% covered by another party at fault?
I have had a similar situation and my insurance said if i do not want to open a claim they do not need to know about this, so IMO You should NOT open any claim on Your insurance.

1 Like

I used Geico for 27 years. Before adding a teen driver, I was paying $3,764/year for 3 cars. After adding the teen, it ballooned to $8,226/year. Six months later, with no claims or issues whatsoever, the rate ballooned to $19,940/year.

I ended up switching to State Farm for $10,400/year.

2 Likes

A lot of us have migrated from Geico to State Farm it seems. For the longest time, they were the most competitive and had the best customer service. That all took a nosedive recently.

1 Like

The other party ran away and police wasn’t helpful. I needed insurance to locate the other party. I also didn’t know it would come this. I don’t think I will ever make a claim unless my car is not moving.

1 Like

You should have received a cancelation notice prior to the policy terminating.

Carriers will get very suspicious on a claim that is opened in the first 60 days- especially if you have no prior coverage. If they are asking for documentation you need to send it asap to maintain the policy. You can call and ask if underwriting will extend the cancelation for time to process the docs (assuming you have sent them in already).

If they are asking for proof of residency, they are most likely picking up a different address on your reports than you have listed on the policy (making sure it is rated in the correct area).

If the non at fault is the only accident on the file- you should be able to get picked up by most carriers (assuming you now have at least 6 months of coverage). This may be an optimal time to reach out to an experienced insurance broker in your area. They will know who takes what. Whatever you do, do not go with a lapse in coverage. This will cause you to be almost non-insurable. Getting a new policy will be very difficult and expensive.

It is not a popular opinion of the general public- but carriers are getting hit hard right now. Most are really tightening up who and what they offer insurance to. It will be like this until they have figured out the “new market” or past covid world where things cost a lot more to fix than they did before. A lot of smaller regionals have been put out of business and the ones that are not are quickly specializing on what they know best. I do not see this changing until sometime in 2025. Credit, prior history, claims etc are being looked at harder than ever before. Do not file things that should not be (small $ things that show frequency in filing-this is not a good thing on rating).

1 Like

Do they not mandate Carco inspections outside of NY?

If he leased a new car, he would have had to have insurance from day 1, and obviously it couldn’t have been sold as new with damage.

Geico’s service and rates, or SF’s?

Geico’s service took a nosedive while their pricing skyrocketed.

Good luck to you. Just shop around. I shop around every time I need an insurance, and now I own multiple insurances with numerous companies for life/home/rental/auto/umbrella/flood/etc insurances. You never know what the insurance company is thinking. Today they charge 1/2 of what their competitor is charging, next time when you renew, they charge 3X.

Legit question, what the heck is a teen driver supposed to do now-a-days? I remember when I was 16 in the mid 90’s I had a 1981 Dodge Diplomat to get to my minimum wage job. Insurance with State Farm at the time was like $100 for 6 months, and I thought I was getting jobbed even back then since that was like 16 hours of work to pay those $100 goddamn dollars ($100 in 1995 is about $200 today).

What’s the point of whacking teen drivers with $3,000 per 6 month premiums?

You sure it is 200? 1997 I remember buying enough food for a family of 4 for a whole week for 100. Plus labor costs, materials, etc is a different world. C suite also need their bonuses every quarter. So there is that in the end.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t think CFPB looks into insurance related complaints but I filed a complaint with NY Department of Finance and BBB.

1 Like

That’s what i was thinking…shieeet…$100 bill went FAR back in 1995. $20 used to get you cheap dinner for 2 with 2 movie tickets and some left over for popcorn n soda. Today that setup would be an easy ~$80

$100 went far in 2015…my insurance was under 100/mo just in 19. Now it’s 180 for one truck. We had an i8, stelvio and tundra for around $180 as well.

1 Like

@holonk I would suggest calling Geico and asking for an extension since you sent in the documents you can also chat on their app/website. In the future send with registered mail.
Also contact brokers and price out the online options State Farm progressive etc

All those snowy off ramp suggestions don’t seem smart in hindsight does it ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks. These have been very helpful. So I was able to get a new insurance from State Farm for $350 / month. I’m really surprised they offered me this because everyone else literally denied me insurance coverage including Progressive which initially offered me $730 / month and then denied it when I tried to move forward. Also please note that I worked with a broker as well. I was so closed to getting NYAIP insurance. It’s crazy that I’m higher risk than a DUI driver. Only catch is that State Farm insurance starts on Nov 9th and I have a 3 day lapse. I asked Geico to extend their insurance until Nov 9th. Let’s see how it goes. Thanks everybody!

I think those days are gone and those “rewards” are overrated.

I was with a company for over 15 years, good company and some perks like you mentioned. Nothing bad to say about them.

When I added a new vehicle their rate was $350 more for a 6 month term ($700 a year) than Progressive, so I switched. I’ve had 2 claims in 20 years so while the perks are nice to have I’m not paying $700 more per year for a perk I might use once a decade.

Then a year later Progressive wanted to renew at 25% more so I switched to my current carrier. Out of curiosity I got a progressive quote again recently and it’s competitive again. Not enough to switch, but enough to prove that playing the game can be worth it.

Also a more difficult question to answer if you have homeowner’s, umbrella and other policies on board as well.

1 Like