Gap in center bore on aftermarket wheels

Hi LH!

I grabbed some aftermarket summer wheels for my S60. The site I got them from said they fit (I understand they might not actually know).

I mounted one today just to make sure they fit, and I noticed they don’t sit flush on the “hub” (see pic)

I’ve been reading up on “hub centric” and “lug centric” - and it seems this is ok, but may create more vibration noise.

Can anyone chime in if they have experience with this? It seems there is a “ring” of sorts that can be installed to fill the gap, but I’m not sure what I should be shopping for.

Thanks in advance!

Drive it, vibration = bad.

How many mm is the gap?

Seeing as it’s a volvo s60 you won’t really put ridiculous stress on the wheels and tires so it’s not like you have to worry about checking it everytime you get done driving, this would probably be a better question for the manufacturer of the wheels. Did you reach out to them?

I have to bring them to a shop to get the current factory tires swapped onto them (I’ll use the OEM rims as winter wheels), so I can’t drive on the new wheels yet.

Hard to measure but I would say 3ish mm

No, haven’t yet. Will see what I can find online about them and reach out.

Ive used plastic hub centering rims many times with no adverse issues (though sometimes the ring gets stuck on the hub and needs a little persuasion). If you can get an appropriate centering ring, that’s what I would suggest. The tire shop may be able to measure and order them for you, or if you know the hub bore of the wheel and the hub size on the car, you can use that to spec the ring yourself.

1 Like

You can always get the assurance of a centering ring like mf said, but driving it will give you an idea of whether something is seriously wrong or everything is fine, even then you might want to get the centering ring for peace of mind.

As long as the lugnuts are nice and tight the clamping load should keep the wheel from slipping.

What are the specs of your OEM wheels and these wheels?

You may want to call TireRack? If they carry the wheels, they’ll be able to tell you what size rings are provided for correct fitment on the car.

They don’t carry them. I almost always go with Tire Rack since I can go down to the distributor center in CT and pickup (and get a discount for it!)

I got this from CarID - which I have never used before.

Planning to contact the manufacturer to see if they recommend a spacer.

Follow up:

It seems the “Installation Package” I ordered with the wheels should have contained “Hub Centric Rings” to fill the gap between the hub and wheel bore/hole.

Sent an email to the wheels department after getting nowhere with the site’s chat feature.

Will update again.

What kind of wheel spacers is a High quality?