GA buyer in need of 2 leases after Kia engine blew. Is this possible?

Yes, thank you!

You should also try to get a free consultation with a lemon lawyer (not because lemon law applies here but because a good one should have knowledge of automotive class actions) and/or your local investigative news team.

Yes you might have relinquished your rights by not replying to their letter but they may also need to prove they notified you or tried in good faith.

IANAA.

1 Like

Oh really I didnt know that was a 7 seater. Iā€™ll check it out. Thanks!

The CX9 and Highlander have borderline useless third rows for your purposes. As do many SUVs.

The high floor of any SUV is really a burden best avoided for an elderly person. Plus the need to squeeze into the vehicle while crouching before going in between captains chairs.

A low floor, plus the much larger opening of a sliding door (allowing them to enter the third row almost directly), really makes a minivan a much more suitable vehicle for your needs.

Yes, used vehicle prices are inflated. But a useful $700/month financed vehicle is a much better spend than a useless $700/month lease.

3 Likes

I actually have some contact with the lawyers who filed the class action suit and theyā€™ve given us ā€œsomeā€ guidance. A attorney dealing with Lemons as a resource could be helpful.

Youā€™d think so. But youā€™d be wrong. My brother is a mechanic at a Hyundai dealership. They regularly put BRAND NEW long blocks in and have them come back 4-5 months later blown again.

They are absolute junk, ticking time bombs.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what weā€™ve been afraid of. Weā€™ve heard the same thing over and over again.

Just a bit off topic, butā€¦ All Hyundai engine are crap, or just some of them (so I know what to avoid, if possibleā€¦)?

I dont think its worth the risk to find out. This has been a nightmare.

3 Likes

Have you looked at any of the larger rear seat 5-seaters? Honda Pilot or Grand Cherokee? Would those work for you? Althu I have no idea how much those are going for right now.

There were a series of engines that were shit.

Theta II. Even the newer ones.

Supposedly their other engines are decent and most of the failures they see are just lack of maintenance. He sends me pictures fairly often where 50k miles engines obviously havenā€™t had an oil change doneā€¦ ever. But yeah the Theta II will blow up just because they feel like it.

3 Likes

Sorry, Late to the Party, but would a purchase on a Chevy Traverse be a solution?
Warranty for 36k. And if you think they are unreliable dump it in 3 yrs. There will still be plenty of Demand for a while as it seems Inventory/order availability is at the worst it has been since this started.
The 8 passenger LS albeit is basic transport but in FWD trim can be had for under $36k plus TTL
And a basic order should come pretty quick. I havenā€™t seen too many of them come with the extra ā€œblessingā€ the Asian brands do.
And the LT if the Captains chars are needed is like 40k with heated seats and remote start
In the midwest here I havenā€™t seen the silly ADM on Chevy like Asians have either.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™ve looked at those too. What do you all think of the Dodge Caravan? I know theyā€™re discontinued and considered kinda cheap but they are big enough and I see alot of them now in the mid to upper 20ā€™s

Yes or was the Theta ll. I do know people who kept impeccable maintenance on their Kia without having the Theta ll and had the same issueā€¦

In thinking Dodge Caravan, whatā€™s your opinion on those? I owned a Neon a long time ago and I never had a problem with it.

I spoke with a lemon law attorney yesterday and she said that the car has to be 2016 or newer and referred me to legal aid, i think it was I cant recall the name right now.

You need to aggressively pursue the shop that took your cash and didnā€™t fix your Kia. Was it a Kia dealer? How did you pay for the engine work? You can start by calling Kia corporate if it was a dealer (PM me for a contact). I imagine you depend on your vehicle and itā€™s not acceptable that they have taken your money and not fixed the problem.

Legal aid is free legal advice and counsel.

4 Likes

Great service btw, also recommend below (powered by the American Bar)

Sorry, if I wasnā€™t clear I was not implying thatā€™s what happened in your case. Iā€™m saying outside of the Theta II, most of the engine failures my brother sees are due to lack of maintenance.

2 Likes