Funniest/most ridiculous dealer replies you've ever gotten

I liked this one too :laughing:

Maybe I’m missing something since English isn’t my first language but what’s out of the ordinary for this one?

It looks like you were about $700+ apart. Am I looking at this correctly?

($200-$217)×36 + ($300-$200) = $712.

CPO probably had a bigger bogey on it than selling you the new car on a net or negative net deal.

1 Like

I just thought that the terse “thanks for the opportunity” from the sales guy to end the negotiation was funny.

And yes he wasn’t far off. But relative to the total lease cost, it was about 10% off.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Then don’t respond if you don’t think it’s funny? I found the professional F U amusing.

I haven’t found a single post you’ve made on LH amusing FWIW.

8 Likes

Here we go again… why is this guy still here? Just because you don’t think something is funny doesn’t mean someone else or others don’t.

What’s your deal? You stick your ugly opinion in everywhere and expect others to feel the same sentiment :joy:? Exhausting child

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

When I worked at a Mazda dealership in 2016, I was the only person there that could calculate a lease by hand (going back to the 6 to 8 people in the country could do it line from earlier - guess I’m one of them!) It came in handy when the computers were out for 2 days.

Another benefit was I would calculate any lease by hand before bringing it to the desk for real numbers. The way I would work leases was completely different than other sales people (I held a lot more gross doing this). Instead of asking them what payment they wanted to be at, I would ask them what discount they thought was fair for everyone. I would then take that discount, write up the numbers in front of them explaining it as I went so I made sure they were comfortable with everything as it’s not as clear on the contracts. I would make the same “mistake” that guy made and subtract RV from MSRP or mess with the numbers some other way to make them a bit higher. I would then ask them if I can get them whatever numbers we came up with, if they would sign right now.

Most people said yes.

1 Like

So you would start the whole thing by being “open and honest about the numbers” and then proceed to “mess with the numbers”. Proud of yourself at the end of the day? This is just a basic variation of a sleazy car salesman that no one wants to deal with.

And yet if someone was to post a hypothetical of how they adjusted some screenshots, fudged some numbers, and faked their way to a better deal, this entire forum would be screaming and yelling how all customers are assholes. There is already that if a customer dares to shop across the dealers.

6 Likes

I think what Falcon is talking about doing is no different than what most salesman end up doing. Except, he actually runs the numbers and explains the process to the customer which is more than I can say for 98% of the salesmen I’ve ever encountered.

So long as the customer arrives at a number they’re happy with and they see it, who cares?

1 Like

Until he got to the end part of intentionally misleading by lying about how the numbers are calculated.

2 Likes

I would have seen it that way, had he not pointed out how he makes a “mistake” note the quotes, which implies he’s doing it on purpose. And then continued admission “or mess with the numbers some other way to make them a bit higher.”

Correct. To be completely honest, I worked for a Mazda dealership - there was no money to be made there. There’s like $800 between invoice and MSRP on most models. I was paid 20% of front end gross, or $100 flats. If I sold a car for full sticker, I would make something like $160. In order to make any sort of money there or at most dealerships - you have to hold gross. Volume doesn’t really get you very far where I worked. I’m not saying I’m proud of what I did - I’m explaining it for everyone’s benefit here. I did a lot of fucked up things when I sold cars. It’s one of the reasons I no longer sell cars. To make any money doing so, you can’t give away cars all day at LH worthy deals or even get close. Was I sleazy? Sure, a bit. But with me, the numbers wouldn’t change - what you saw is what you got. You were either ok with the payment and DAS or you weren’t and I wasn’t going to try to convince you otherwise.

Most of these leases still ended up being well sticker and many under invoice, so it’s not like I was fucking everyone left and right - just simplifying the process between a customer coming in and asking for $5k off a $24k Mazda 3 or wanting a CX9 for $300/mo (this is when Mazda used Chase and they leased terribly) into actually being realistic with their numbers and getting a car. I would say most of them ended up with an average or slightly above average deal for a Mazda.

And most customers are assholes BTW. Including myself. I do think car sales is a profession that provides no value, even more so than real estate agents. That being said, I do recognize that I, along with most LH users are in the minority in which we’re interested in learning how things works and using it to get a good deal - when most people could care less and just need the payment to fit their budget.

Thanks. The difference with me was I didn’t go back and forth and hide between a big mean manager. I knew what was generally doable and what wasn’t, and was able to save everyone time.

I did tell a lot of my customers about the 1% rule. Something to remember was that these weren’t customers coming in and asking for a reasonable discount - people would walk in with crazy numbers and would get defensive if a manager would talk to them. I would defuse the situation and explain the actual math.

True.

Yeah, I did do it on purpose. It’s the only way to come out to realistic numbers most of the time. Something to keep in mind is the general population is not like LeaseHackr. They won’t come in with knowledge of an aggressive, but potentially doable deal. They would come in expecting to lease a car for $49/mo or get $10,000 off due to some rebates no one would ever qualify for becuase that’s what Major World Auto Group advertises on one VIN number with $8k DAS that no one ever reads the fine print of.

4 Likes

@Grbox I think you meant to put this here:

1 Like

Yes but my story is true. The meme is real.

I think you might be confused about what a meme is my friend

6 Likes

Dealer when negotiating a car: “it’s just $5,000, you can just put a couple hundred in bitcoin and make that by the end of the day”.

If it was that easy I’m pretty sure we’d all be millionaires and you would not care about the 5k yourself.

2 Likes