Funnest sedan/coupe to lease $300-$400 per month

I must admit that I was rather underwhelmed by manual F30 328’s. The automatic is a better pair with the 4 cylinder engine. Manual 335/340 6’s however, were a big win! Too bad there is no such thing as a manual 3 series for 2019 and beyond (except for the year away M3 RWD model). I recently purchased an STI as I’ve always wanted one since they’ve hit our shores. I’d rather have a WRX vs a 320/330 for the same payment, badge be damned. My F80’s (2015/2018 M3) was/is SO much better than my STI, its not funny but, that doesn’t take away from Subaru that WRX/STI models are fun cars.

If only it was easy to find stickshift 3-series! Car I always wanted growing up/in highschool. It seems like they’re making less and less in the manual. Maybe instead of leasing I should just buy an old one.

They’re making less manuals because Americans won’t buy manuals. Manuals have been offered in a lot of different cars, but people refuse to buy them.

I’m stuck buying used cars now if I want a manual. An egregious example of automatic buying? WRX with a CVT. I nearly vomited when I saw one.

2 Likes

Eh, I think it’s a vicious cycle. Manufacturers make fewer manual cars, they become harder to obtain so fewer people try; manufacturer points to low manual sales so they make fewer manual cars…

Plus, auto’s have come a loooong way in ~25 years. They are more efficient and more reliable than before. Manual’s used to beat out auto’s in both of these categories. Combined with the emergence of smartphones and drive thru’s and urban population growth, automatic transmissions fit the American way of life much better than manuals.

It stinks, because even with the best auto’s/DSGs, they’re still missing that intangible something that a good manual has in spades. It’s unfortunate fun cars like higher end 3/5 series and Audi S cars are dropping the 3rd pedal. These enthusiast cars thrive with manual transmissions, and would still have a (small) market.

1 Like

A used car market doesn’t make much money for a manufacturer that depends on new car sales and developing new products to stay relevant.

Used car sales help parts suppliers, though.

Manuals are fun and engaging.

So were vinyl 33 1/3 RPM albums.

Both have been replaced by more efficient and effective means.

There will always be a few people lamenting the old guard going the way of the dodo. But time marches on.

Gotta move outside the States if manuals are your thing.

1 Like

Manuals are engaging enough and there is definitely a market for them in some segments. Porsche offers certain 911 models in manuals to appease these markets.

Have you seen the re-emergence of vinyl??

It was destined to become extinct but clearly did not. Just like manuals.

Yeah, and I don’t know a single person who has a record player. It’s not mainstream, that’s for sure.

There are still dudes who do ham radio, too; that doesn’t make it the norm.

To each their own – I know two licensed Ham operators, and literally dozens of friends with turntables :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t even think I have dozens of friends haha. Let alone dozens with turntables.

2 Likes

Well, okay…maybe I slightly exaggerated :thinking:

I know quite a few people with turntables.

I greatly prefer driving MT, so I put my money where my mouth was by buying one. I suggest anyone else that actually prefers manuals does the same, or else they definitely will go extinct. It has nothing to do with “old guard” or old fashioned, it has everything to do with preference for driving engagement and involvement. My hope is that the take rates on the few MT cars that are left increase since so many OEM’s have stopped offering them.

OP, if you think a TLX FWD or a Q50 or a Maxima is a “fun car”, you probably have never owned an actual “fun car”. It’s all relative though. Check out Giulia’s, GTI’s or Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT. GTI and Accord Sports don’t lease great but IMO they’re both way more fun than any of the cars on your original list, sans maybe the WRX but only because it has AWD (which doesn’t make up for its 1995 interior and brutal ride/NVH). I have had about 10k miles of seat time in various TLX FWD V6 loaners, and they are decidedly booooooooring unless lighting up the front tires in all situations and a nice highway ride is your thing. SH-AWD is a necessity on that car, but even then, the chassis is not anything special and the ZF 9AT is horrendous.

1 Like

When I moved to OC in 2013 we leased a 2013 G37 S 6MT sedan. It was a great car. And we scored an awesome deal on it ($420 including tax sign and drive for 24 months on a $41k car)

After six months of commuting, even a short commute, I learned I don’t love manuals as much as I thought. It’s very situation-dependent. I won’t buy another as long as I live here. If I move back to Ohio, maybe.

As for a Maxima being fun, well, as someone said earlier—to each their own. Fun is subjective. Luxury can be fun. Speed can be fun. Big tires or loud stereos can be fun. There’s no wrong answer.

Still have my G37 6MT thats getting a 1jz swap. I love that car to death.

Had a 2017 Maxima rental. Nicest thing in that car was the Android Auto… if it worked.

One of the worst driving/feeling cars I had driven in the past 6 years. Couldn’t give that car to me for free.

In that price range fun would be a GTI. Had a 2016 SE with PP package. APR stage 1 tune and the clutch went in 10k miles, lol. I was paying $390 a month with first month DAS. MSRP was $36k and I didnt really get any incentives.

1 Like

You spent close to 36k on an SE with PP? Why not just spring for an R at that point? The 2016 R’s were around 36 to 38k MSRP.

Negative they were none available and dealers were asking over msrp. Also needed sunroof and the fender system is amazing.I got the car from audi of lynbrook in long island.

Oh, you were on Long Island. Hate Long Island dealers. The majority of negative dealer experiences I have is from dealing with LI dealers. I honestly believe no good deals can be had on LI because they’re so unscrupulous and sleazy.

I’m sure there are people out there that have had positive experiences, though.

1 Like