Full- and/or mid-sized sedans. Getting wildly different numbers on leases

MF is negotiated if it is marked up and cannot go below bank threshold unless you using msds and the banks accepts them.

Edmunds is probably getting the RV from Ford Financial or the captive where a dealer may be using Ally, US Bank, or a credit union which can certainly have different RVā€™s.

1 Like

Why get a Kia when you can get a Genesis G80 for less?? Check it out, you might like it. Lots of great advice for you here

1 Like

I will check that out, thanks!

Maybe look into the MDX they are leasing much better than some of the other cars you mentioned.

Stop asking the dealers for numbers.

2 Likes

Did you ask for the same lease terms on the same trim level through the same bank?

Donā€™t walk into dealerships. Complete waste of time.

You have to be strategic in your approach. I donā€™t think I have seen any success stories that started with ā€œI walked into the dealerā€¦ā€ unless they already had a deal negotiated. Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

I just turned in my 17ā€™ Cadenza, I was getting called by dealerships trying to get me in a 2019. The leases on the 2019ā€™s are terrible! One dealer offered me one for $575/mo! 3 years ago, I got mine for $405/mo with 0 down tax included (that was before I knew about this site). The numbers back in April 2017 for 36/12k were 52% residual, MF of 0.000375 and $4000 lease cash.

It looks like the residual value dropped to the floor and the MF went sky high since. Look at Mercedes or BMW if you want a good lease on a mid-size sedan. 5 series and E-class loaners can be had for pretty cheap!

so should I reach out to the dealerships electronically? Not all of them have any kind of contacts / web forms, info, etc.

Obviously, I can purchase a car online from anywhere, but leasing is another matter

Why is it another matter?

I mean leasing from a private individual or whole-sale place. Not even sure that is possible without going to a third-party for financing, etc.

I imagine I can lease electronically from a dealer or manufacturer, but they go out of their way to force you into the dealership and to make things complicated

Just say no until you have a deal agreed on. If the dealer wonā€™t negotiate that way, move on to a new dealer.

1 Like

The idea is to get all possible negotiations done via email/texts before walking into the dealership.

Do your research, lock in your price/payment goal, get multiple quotes without wasting time at dealerships and negotiate from the position of strength to get the deal you want.

1 Like

Didnā€™t we cover this yesterday?

3 Likes

yes, but Iā€™ve ben having some trouble getting people to talk to me electronically, and the RV figures from Edmunds were incorrect, which causes a problem if I want to figure out good pricing

I will keep at it and see what I can do

Iā€™m going to make a suggestion for a path that might be a bit easier for someone just trying to get the hang of this and not yet settled on a car. Go to Rodo and sign up, then surf through their offers and look for good deals on cars you like. This will at least narrow down your search parameters. Right now, you are looking at cars in person and then praying they are leasing well. Find out what is leasing well FIRST, then go check them out.

When you have settled on your target, visit the websites of all that brandā€™s dealers within 50 miles, pick a car from their stock, and email them stating that you are interested in stock number xxxx. You already have an offer through a broker on the same MSRP vehicle for $xxx with $xxx total due at signing, all taxes and fees included. But youā€™d rather work with a local dealer and get a preferred color (or whatever excuse you want), and if they can beat that offer, you will do the deal.

Donā€™t wait for a reply. You should be hitting up at least 5-6 dealers at the same time. First to reply and not play games wins. Sometimes you have to expand to 60 miles, then 80, then 100.

2 Likes

donā€™t go into dealers. donā€™t go to toyota of naperville.
i just did a tundra yesterday with a chicago area dealer, I am going to post details soon. some want to deal

yes but if you live in the actual City of Chicago you pay an additional use tax in addition to sales tax. Combine them its something like 18% effective tax rate making it one of the worst places to lease in.

Illinois just raised the doc fee allowance on Jan 1 from 178.XX to 300. Registration and plates went up too.