Ford Sold Me A Leased Car - Now They Want It Back

Yeah, you are in court, you signed a sales agreement with a Ford company that signed a sales agreement, you are paying, but they say they want the car back because Mr Jones was supposed to sign and not Mr Scott.

Sure a judge will make the buyer give the car back. Good luck with that.

The ford dealer isn’t a “ford company”. It’s an independent company. This isn’t a “gotcha” company shell game relationship. It’s an independent 3rd party company that wrote a contract for a vehicle that they didn’t own that still has an active lease with a different person.

6 Likes

That sucks. I had a similar experience with Ally Financial. I just returned the car because it wasn’t worth the cost and effort to hire an attorney to fight it.

1 Like

Cmon man some people love to fantasize about being a lawyer, why you gotta bust his chops

2 Likes

You’re flogging a dead horse @pony_trekker

3 Likes

Pun intended, I presume? :grin:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, not a fantasy, sunshine. Just trying to teach you kids how the world actually works. Funny how the dealership signed the contract but had no idea about this concept? I call BS.

Are you a lawyer? Are you representing anyone in regards to this case? Do you have common law knowledge or historical precedence (i.e. previous court rulings) on this?

You should not speak in such definitive terms as an anonymous individual on the internet.

Dealers make basic mistakes every day, even ones that have been in business with those manufacturers for decades. It’s nothing new. We do not know the full details of what transpired between the dealer and the buyer.

@mllcb42 is correct in pointing out that this was an independent franchise and not an agent of FoMoCo or Ford Financial that conducted this transaction.

Either way, what has OP decided to do? Any input going forward from the community is just speculation without knowing what OP is actually doing about the situation or if they’ve even reached out to real and legal counsel.

2 Likes

As always these threads all end the same way. The OP slinks away after realizing they need to decide whether to retain a lawyer to fight the legal battle or give up the POS that’s not worth fighting over.

Meanwhile fantasists like @pony_trekker reveal themselves to be entirely deluded about their legal skills.

This was fascinating

/s

1 Like

I have a question.
My brother in law has a leased truck through Ford Motor Credit.
I have reasonably good credit and want a truck, and he can’t afford to keep it when the lease ends in a couple of months.

I know they won’t do 3rd party buyout, but would the original dealership be able to sell it to a 3rd party if that 3rd party isn’t another dealership but an individual who finances through them?

Let’s say it’s a 2019 F150 Ecoboost 2.7 with a lot of options. The TC/Vroom value is $34000 but the buyout price is $27k. Lease ends early January so it’s within 120 days.

I am willing to finance with them, with $7000 down payment and a middle FICO of 705. Would it be possible or would FMC block it?
Is it possible the dealer will try to charge me more than the buyout price?

Buy the truck directly from the dealership. Finance the amount for the Purchase Option Price as stated on his Red Carpet Lease Agreement via loan. With the market for used vehicle demand being so high, the price in the lease agreement will be the lowest you will see.

The dealer has very little motivation to do this, as your familiar relationship is irrelevant. You’re basically asking them go take the car in and then resell it for significantly under market.

IMO The easiest way is to do lease transfer into Your name but I am not sure if this is not too late. It cost just $75.
Call Ford Motor Credit and see if you can still do it.

While this is somewhat true - they still win on the financing and will tag on their dealer fee to the purchase, no?

Those are a wash though; they’re getting those either way. You’re basically asking them to sell this to you for thousands of dollars under what they can turn around and get for it a day or two later. Why would they do that?

1 Like

Im not sure I follow. How is it a wash - isn’t a dealer fee + financing better than no deal at all?

Does the dealer get first dibs on the car at the payoff price if it gets turned back in, or does FMC get it back and send it to auction? If its the former then I completely understand your point - but I always thought it was the latter.

Yes, dealer gets first dibs. They’ll just sell it to the next guy that walks in the door for thousands more plus get their dealer fee and financing.

The most cost effective strategy here would be for your buddy to request a lease extension and then transfer the lease to you so you could buy it out directly.

3 Likes

Moved your posts to this thread.

Read the posts original above. I don’t think the dealership can sell you the car, as they aren’t the owners, even if turned in.

1 Like