Ford Sold Me A Leased Car - Now They Want It Back

My daughter leased a Ford Focus. When the three years were up, I decided to buy the car. So at lease end, I went to the Ford dealership, they ran my credit, verified employment, etc., etc. I signed all the paperwork/contracts.

About a month later, the salesman at the dealership contacted me and said that they actually weren’t supposed to sell me the car (Ford doesn’t allow anyone except the person who leased the car buy it) and that they needed it back.

But I DID BUY IT. I signed a contract – the Ford Dealership signed the same contract selling me the car.

When I brought that up (& said I think I should just keep the car), the salesman said that from what he was being told, Ford will think my daughter still has the car and come after her. Plus, they won’t be able to get the title from Ford to transfer it into my name.

Has anyone had this happen? Heard of anything like this?

We leased the car in California, but were living in Ohio at the time of the end of lease buyout.

Honda has had some plug-ins and all-electrics that had to be returned because Honda did not want to continue making parts for it…that is the closest comparison I can get to this story. Did the guy leave some really good drugs in it or something?

1 Like

Also can’t Ford Reject the financing and Poster would have to return it?

1 Like

I read the contract. I didn’t see anything that allowed the contract to be rescinded other than - “Limited Right to Cancel: If within 20 days we are unable to obtain financing, you or we may cancel the sale of the vehicle.” It has been 30 days and financing was obtained.

1 Like

Only you can decide whether it’s worth the hassle of hiring or at least consulting an attorney.

An out-of-warranty Ford product? I’d be thanking my stars for dodging that bullet.

9 Likes

Ford Finance owns the car, not the dealership. If Ford said the dealer couldn’t sell you the car and won’t sign the title over, it sounds pretty clear that you need to return the car, unless you want to be in possession of a “stolen” vehicle.

2 Likes

Yup, heard of it. It’s typical for Ford to do that. You just have to return it and get something else.

2 Likes

Wow. I just thought a signed contract might mean something … legally.

1 Like

It’s not ford’s fault that the dealership you went to is incompetent.

This should be common knowledge for a ford dealer.

But like others said cab east llc i.e ford mo co is the owner of the vehicle not the dealership.

The dealership can buy the vehicle from ford and then sell it, depending on how much trouble it is and how much you like the vehicle this would be an option for you.

1 Like

Not if the Ford the corporate says something about it.

I just purchased a Ford off lease. The person on the lease needs to purchase the car. The dealership cannot buy the car from Ford in the last 90 days of the contract. I learned this after dropping the car off at one dealer that was going to buy it. They called the next day and told me they could not buy it from Ford. To make a long story short. I purchased the lease so my brother-in-law could buy it from me. Not totally related to this post. A Ford dealership will charge a markup fee of $500 on the buyout and in Arizona another $500 in Document fees. Hope it works out for you. I contacted 4 different dealerships and got about 4 different answers on how the process works.

1 Like

Another reason why you should not rely on dealerships for information regarding anything about your lease.

3 Likes

Make sure you collect any down or fees you may have paid while financing. With a null and void contract, you should get it all back.

@Lazarus: No, it’s not Ford Motor Company’s fault – but the dealership should know better. I guess I was thinking they could be held accountable in some way (by a signed contract maybe).

And @mani_is_kool: Thank you, I will do that for sure.

Dump this turd and run unless you want to get arrested for unauthorized use of a vehicle.

LOL, I don’t think it will get that far. I don’t plan on being a felon on the run for a stupid Ford Focus!

I haven’t been contacted by the dealership’s business manager yet. He has been on vacation. That’s why I decided to see if I could get some insight and information here first.

1 Like

Honestly, make them cut you the check for any monies owed to do and have them pick up the car. I wouldn’t even bother going back to the dealership.

This is just SO unprofessional. I want nothing to do with Ford after this.

The mileage on the Focus was under the lease terms, and although I got the WearCare coverage - the car is in perfect condition. I just thought the buyout price was fair, and it was easy & quick. I’m busy, I didn’t want to have to shop for another car.

@Splattered: I will do that, thanks.

:point_up_2:

Correct they should.

Get all your money back and call it a day, free car for whatever days minus gas and insurance.

2 Likes