Ford kills end of lease buyout option for EVs

I’m guessing they took inspiration from Tesla. All the more reason to purchase these EVs rather than lease them.

Interesting! Though would you really buy an EV after three years? Wouldn’t it make more sense to return it, get a new one and take advantage of improved technology?

You can do that on a purchase too, plus take the federal tax credit while it lasts.

3 Likes

$F intending to eliminate purchase option for new EV leases in 37 states

Its not like anyone that was trying to flip a ford ev was leasing it first anyway

2 Likes

Be interested to see if the other big manufacturers go the same way. Seems the systemic problem of people realizing the EV credit on the lease and then selling it has become a talking point within the administration/industry.

1 Like

I thought ford didn’t pass the rebate on so what was the point In leasing

I dont know that it’s ev tax credit based. Tesla lead the way with locking out buyouts and it was well past when the tax credit ran out.

Possibly more to do with forcing the return to the dealer so they can sell it a second time at a really high price.

1 Like

I think there’s already a thread by @TypeSH should be merged

1 Like

The actual threat to flipping is Ford allowing dealers in certain states to include a no resale clause for vehicles like F-150 Lightning.

Ford wants dealers to sell Lightning at MSRP, but the truck is underpriced at MSRP (below market value). Dealers are probably pissed that anybody who buys at Lightning Pro at MSRP can resell it for a $20K+ profit right now, while they as dealers are strongly discouraged from doing so.

2 Likes

So a dealer that was buying my Ford Lease (they have ford in network) said they just learned even a Ford dealer can’t buy ford leases. Anyone hear anything like this, Non-EV F150