Ford F150 Lightning - Lease vs Ford Options balloon

Just yesterday received order invite from Ford for the long awaited 2022 F150 Lightning EV truck which I reserved last year on launch day 2.

Comparing Ford Red Carpet Lease, Ford Financing, and Ford Options lease I would prefer to take the Ford Options lease because I can claim the $7500 federal tax credit and still have the option to return it to FMC if I was not happy keeping her.

Have not seen the official Options calculator at Ford yet, but I can see from the Mustang Mach E page they offer 36 and 48 month lease terms.

If you had to choose, which would you pick and why ?

I don’t think you will be returning this under any condition, you will be able to resell into the secondary market and capture positive equity. I would avoid the lease because Ford is not known to make it easy to exit a lease early.

As for the balloon loan, it’s not a very good program, as compared to 3rd party balloon loan options, but it does allow you to capture the most rebates. My game plan would be to go the Ford Options route, and then immediate refinance into a better 3rd party program.

3 Likes

Yes, agree, the value of a first year EV truck will be more than the lease RV.

As for refinancing the truck after using Options, I wouldn’t have the ability to exchange the Lightning if it turned out to be a problem truck?

Using Ford Options gives me the best of both - financing advantage capturing the $7500 tax credit but still have a lease w/ balloon in case I am not happy with the truck.

Your financing choice should have very little bearing on this since youre talking lemon law territory.

Unless youre more just referring to turning it in because you dont like it

1 Like

Lucky! I reserved on launch day, still nothing.

Are you in a ZEV state ?

Ford seems to be sending most of the Lightning allocations to ZEV states like CA.

Mine was a second day reservation and thought that I will have to wait until 2023 MY.

Surprised me when I got a text and email from Ford about placing the order.
Never got a heads up from my dealer.

Just a shame Ford ran out of the XLT trim which I really wanted; had to “settle” for a Lariat trim which is more a city street truck…

My wife’s MME and my Lightning - both ordered in the same month - wondering which one will arrive first…

Your order for the lighting was just this month and already getting built?

That’s just when the order was converted, as they release them in waves. It is probably not in scheduled for production yet, but will be included in the 2022 builds. For reference, I reserved on 5/19/2021, ordered in the first wave on 1/6/2022, and am scheduled for production in the week of 5/30/2022. This is for the Pro variant, which was sold out after the first wave as far as I know.

I think the OP mentioned he reserved on 5/20/2021 (which was the second day after reservations opened).

1 Like

If you are not happy with the truck you should sell it to make sure and capture what will probably be many thousands of dollars of positive equity from the secondary market. Returning the truck back to Ford is like sending them a gift.

I have an order for a Lariat SR w/ Active Co-Pilot, order date was 1/20 and build date is supposed to be 5/30 but still waiting for confirmation.

1 Like

After delivery, I will see if I will keep her.

The leather, running boards, 20" wheels are the only issue I have.

Prefer the non butt burning cloth seats, no running boards for better breakover angle, and 18" rims take on larger tires.

But I am liking the ventilated seats which may be better than cloth seats…

I call dibs! I don’t drive naked often, so leather seating is fine by me!

1 Like

Are they allowing you to lock in terms on a truck that has no delivery date in sight? If not, then this discussion is moot until actual delivery.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.