Flipping a Newly-Ordered Vehicle to Another Dealer?

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right category but here goes.

I’m currently leasing a 2018 Land Rover Discovery HSE and love it. Ordered a new, loaded and murdered out 2022 Land Rover Discovery HSE R-Dynamic SUV that is slated to arrive in mid-February; it was supposed to arrive in December. Dealer has agreed to sell the vehicle to me for MSRP, which is about $75,000, only because they didn’t tell me there would be a mark up of $5,000 to $10,000 when the vehicle was ordered and the vehicle is 2 months late.

I’m still weighing my options on whether to buy the 2018 Disco (payoff is $40K, wait out the craziness, and then order a 2023 Disco) or lease the new one that’s coming in. New lease terms are awful, MF .00211 and RV 56%, making an MSRP deal look like $1,300+ per month, which is ludicrous; I’m paying about $700/mo ($0 down) for the 2018 Disco, MSRP was $68,000. Given the KBB value of the 2018 Disco totaling anywhere between $49K and $52K, I thought the equity in the 2018 Disco would offset the horrible lease terms. However, dealers are offering around $42K for the trade in. Vroom offered about $48,000, which would net me about $5K because paying off the 2018 Disco would require an additional $3K in tax.

In looking at inventory Land Rover’s site, there are roughly 3 available 2022 Discoveries in the 500 mile radius of Southern California. Given the rarity of the vehicle and suckers, especially where I live, willing to pay the ridiculous mark ups, I’m wondering whether to outright buy the new vehicle and then turn around and flip it to my local Land Rover dealer for $2,000 - $3,000, who I’m sure would slap it with a $10,000 - $15,000 markup.

Has anyone tried something similar, i.e., flipping a new vehicle purchase to a dealer?

If I was to purchase the 2022 and immediately flip it to the local dealer, would I still have to pay the tax?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

To ‘flip’ you usually need to wait until you are through DMV before another dealer will accept it. (usually plates) Wait 30 days.

The tax you paid to get the car is paid, that is not coming back. When you flip it you won’t pay any tax since its the same company I think. You might be thinking of the tax you pay when you normally buyout the car, that is refundable. But just because you flipped the car in 30 days? CA isn’t going to give it back…haha

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.