First time Leaser questions

Hi,
I am located in southern NJ and am going to be looking for my first car in a couple of weeks…I am an adult in my mid 30s with next to no commute (less than a mile) and am trying to find the least expensive way to drive something new or close to new (i dont want to have to deal with major mechanical issues). I have been looking as Nissan’s 18 month leases due to their high residual and have landed on the Altima SL as it has all the features I want. I know the lease is mainly interest however I know i wont be buying out the lease and was wondering if anyone can suggest any other options that are in the sub $300 per month range (would be willing to go higher for something i really like). I see alot of the marketplace broker listings and am considering going that route however I want to at least try to see if i can replicate a similar deal on my own. I am flexible on the car and feature set and am even willing to look at a dealer demo or loaner car if the deal is right. any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I basically want to know how others have gone about finding there unicorn deals?

Short commute and NJ means you should be looking at something electric.

1 Like

Basically have money in hand and willing to constantly call the same dealer(s) weekly until they buckle.

1 Like

Boom! Less than $300…outright.

2 Likes

I would totally consider a tesla however I don’t have a garage to install a charger nor are there any superchargers in the area so an EV isn’t really practical for me, but thank you

1 Like

So you have 2 choices,
Hunt the deal for yourself or spend a few hundred on a broker who already did the work.

You are in the best state for EVs. State incentives and no taxes. If you are set on ICE, brokers here might have a few deals but nothing as good as EVs.

I would love to be able to go that route however I live in an apartment complex and the closest charger is 20 ish miles away, I don’t see it being doable…has anyone else got an EV without having a charger at home? Any advice on if that’s more trouble than it’s worth?

Do the same tax incentives come with any of the hybrids that don’t require plug in charging?

EV is a non-starter for you unfortunately

I didn’t think so…

Back to your original question

1. It doesn’t make sense to lease when you drive so little. You’re paying for usage that you’re not… using.

2. That “$300” Altima isn’t actually $300 when you add up all the starting and ending costs of a lease. Probably ends up being $500+. Which is honestly a really poor value for one of the least desired cars in its class.

TLDR you are probably better off financing a Camry or Accord with the longest OEM warranty which is 7-8 years (you don’t necessarily have to own it for that long).

I drive about 20-30k miles per year and rely on public charging. For me the inconvenience to charge my car for 30 minutes every couple of days is worth my gas savings. I mainly charge for free so I would be paying almost as much in gas as my car payment on my EV.

If you can give me a general area, I can see if I can find any chargers near you. There is a bunch of fast chargers in the Cherry Hill/Mount Laurel general area, usually located at Malls, Grocery Stores/Targets. if you do a weekly trip there, maybe even every other week, for 30 minutes to an hour you’ll be set for your weekly driving.

If you have access to a wall outlet at home or at work, you are set. No need to go to a fast charger for your needs.

Nissan Leafs are leasing well on the 18 month term, right under $300

Well my commute is short but i will be doing a decent amount of driving on my days off…i prob will use 10k+ honestly im not sure exactly how much i will drive but I figure 10k min cause I plan on taking some trips and so on on my days off, and compared to buying a carolla or civic that I only plan on keeping for 2yrs or so, then trading it in and possibly being underwater on the loan because those first few years are mostly interest,. At least that’s how i understood it. For those reasons I felt leasing was a better option…Thoughts?

Really? I am located in Tuckerton NJ 08087. I looked and it says there is a chargepoint station a mile or so away, then i apparently have one at a local walmart, but i always thought u had to pay to use those chargers?

You have to pay for the gas at gas stations or the electricity at home too. That shouldn’t stop you from considering the option.

1 Like

What happens after that?

1 Like

boh cinderell GIF

1 Like