First time lease Negotiations: 2020 Volkswagen Passat R-Line

Wow thank you for all that. I’m going to look into a broker I guess. I thought it would be easier to understand/find the numbers for the car. I do enjoy the game though. I really appreciate your post. I feel better about getting the deal for me.

@824 Nice Work!

Honestly this should fall under required reading for new LH’ers or slightly changed to indicate it is applicable to all brands and posted on the main page.

1 Like

The cars you picked are totally unleasable due to low RV and poor incentives. Far better off buying a CPO or old inventory new.

Spend 5 mins searching the forums and marketplace and wind up with a 3 series or better at the same price for your troubles. Renting a car for a couple weeks is far less expensive than spending $13k to lease a Jetta.

1 Like

So I finally got the RV and MF of the 2020 Passat R-Line in the 10704 area.
36/10 MF: 0.00001 RV: 52%
and my final offer from the dealer was:
MSRP: $29,885
36mo-10k/yr miles- $0 down -$350.00 monthly payment
Drive off fee: $1,071

I feel like its a decent deal. haven’t taken it. going to try again at another dealership, this time online!

@rubbergash
Check out rubbergash (CA VW Dealer) July deal - he is much lower than you. Same MSRP.

Recall, your pre-incentive selling price is the most critical variable in a lease deal. When you ask for feedback it’s best to share this number. No one can tell you if $350/month is a good deal - there is a Pre-I SP, RV, MF and incentives that drive the “good deal” feedback.

You could have gotten an S60 for just about that same payment yesterday…

As another point of reference, here is another CA Broker, Legends Auto Group, with a April 2020 deal. Note: RV, MF and incentives change from month to month so this offer is outdated but it gives you a reference point.

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2020 Volkswagen Passat R-Line
MSRP: $ 29xxx
Monthly Payment: $ 330+Tax
Drive-Off Amount: $ 1500
Months: 39
Annual Mileage: 7.5k

Keep in mind that’s with $2k Volvo loyalty and about $400 more at drive off.

But, waaay higher MSRP and, tbh, much nicer car for the money.

1 Like

Check out this video from Jan 2020 (info is a little out-dated) to get an idea of how you should think about your Passat offer price. He discusses purchase and lease options as well as how to think about your offer price.

After spending a little time poking around your deal as best as I can see it looks to be on the high side. I don’t do homework on VW’s so I can’t guide you with any precision. But I know you are pressed for time and new to this.

Good luck.

1 Like

i really appreciate all your feedback and effort into my post @824. I agree it is on the highside. what i want to focus on now, is lowering that monthly. and i guess to do that I need to understand how negotiating the msrp/sp/etc work and how to to it. The Msrp for my deal was $29,885 and the Selling Price was $28,988. they didn’t come down much on the msrp, only (3%). I also do not qualify for any incentives.

will watch the video now.

i also feel that for $350 a month I could be driving something a lot nicer. but ive been through bmws, audi, mazda. i really like this passat r line for some reason lol

I’m not a broker, I’m a dealer Brah.

3 Likes

Great vid lol. Maybe I need to expand my search and look at other options in a $350 price range. It’s really my insurance that’s killing me. If I told you the quotes I was getting for full coverage you wouldn’t believe me. It’s a mess. But I’m confident I can get something that doesn’t leave me hung out in the wind

Awful deal. Find another dealer or hire a broker. What did Edmunds say about incentives on this car?

1 Like

Edmunds Suggested Price: $28,805

Incentives were like:
Military, civil service, health care worker $500
Loyalty: $1800 (trading in existing lease)
Recent Grad $500
i cannot remember them exactly. but i did not qualify

You need to post on the model specific lease thread at edmunds and ask for RV/MF/incentives for your zip.

1 Like

Try this: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/59276/volkswagen/passat/2020-vw-passat-lease-deals-and-prices

1 Like

.00001 and 51%
.00051 and 44%
$1800 incentive
from edmunds

see thats the SE. i feel like the R-line trim is what is inflating the price. bc this is what i found on the dealers website that ends June 6th. .

2020 Passat 2.0T S - Automatic Transmission

$179*/month for 39 month lease.

$3,499 due at signing. Excludes tax, title, license, options and dealer fees. No security deposit required. For highly qualified customers through Volkswagen Credit.

I would strongly suggest you do some reading about the basics of leasing. You can start here: https://leasehackr.com/blog?category=Leasing%20101.

There is a ton of information on this forum. There are lots of folks (including me) who want to help, but you need to put in the work. I don’t expect you to be a lease expert in a week, but you need to understand the basics.

1 Like

believe me i have been non stop reading. and i know i have more to understand. im just starting to think that this isn’t the right time to lease this particular car right meow