First Post: BMW X1 Deals and Sanity Check

It’s a 20% return on the money, you won’t get that anywhere else.

1 Like

20% tax free at that

1 Like

Respectfully, its most certainly not in x3 M40 territory (I should know, I have a well-equipped 2019 x3 x30i Msport (58k MSRP).

Here is a calculator for a BASE m40i at 55.9K MSRP. You need max MSDs and 17% pre-incentive discount to get to 481/mo in Va. Maybe you could get that price on a new x3 w/ an odd color combo that a dealer cant get rid of, but I doubt it.

If you want a car with a big engine and no options, be my guest. That’s not what she wants. There are plenty of base models she could have for under 350 if she had loyalty and they offered the same kind of rebates when I was looking last year. The 2% residual hit doesn’t help either.

I don’t mean to instigate, but I’ve been on this forum for about a year now and this is definitely my biggest pet peeve of the community. Responses akin to: “Ha! you could have [insert more expensive model] for that price” aren’t entirely helpful without taking into account the geography, incentives, and the most importantly the trim/features of the car - you cant compare apples to oranges.

2 Likes

help me with the MSDs because im still new to the concept. Is the 20% return calculated by dividing the total savings in total lease payments by the deposit?

Yes, an x3m40 is more, but we aren’t talking that much more. Maybe $50-75/mo… That’s not that much. The point is to highlight the delta to show that the specific vehicle is a poor value compared to other choices. The x1 and x2 are a compelling vehicle as a loaner when the first number in the payment starts with a 2, certainly not at almost $500 /mo.

1 Like

Proper way would be to look at the total cash flow, but you can pretty closely estimate the ROI by taking the total lease cost delta, divide by the term in years, and then divide by the MSD amount.

2 Likes

Guys,

This is not his deal, it’s hers. Easier to find the best deal in the criteria than to explain the msd & other value model etc benefit.

Good luck lol

As mike said. Imagine you take the msd amount, and invest it, say in the market, real estate investment trust, whatever. Are you going to get a 20% return on that money? You’re ‘investing’ 3500 as a lease msd to save 20*36 or 720. 720 of 3500 is 20.57%, instead of spending that 20.57% of your capital, you saved it by putting that MSD down, to put it into less fancy words.

1 Like

The answer to that question was given in the first response.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll show her this and see if she changes her mind…Or perhaps she will decide to level up to an X3!

1 Like

NJ/PA dealer, can’t say which dealer due to respect for the broker, but has a broker deal for a x3 drive 30i for 373+tax, 2800 msd and 2.3k+tax das 399 fee. Has a demo too, 353 monthly about same msd and das, under 5k miles, and higher msrp. @nyclife

That doesn’t exist in SoCal… would love to be proven wrong…

Due to lesser dealer discounts of due to lesser incentives?

1 Like

Update:

She’s planning to sign on this in the next day or so. Exactly the color combo and features she’s wants and is a mid-mileage loaner.

Pretty good deal as far as I’ve seen on current inventory. This quote includes 1000 in rebates (Conquest/USAA) and I calculated base MF at 0.00099 (Calculator)

Original preincentive was 18.3% but add-ons bring it to 17.5%. Debating wether or not to ask him to knock them off but she’s happy and don’t want to sour the deal at this point.

Let me know what you guys think.

Edit: Deal Signed.

Depends. Do you plan on marrying this girl? If not then whatever makes her happy. If yes do you really want to be on the hook for that car at that payment?

1 Like

I think everyone’s disdain for the X1 is quite evident at this point…the question was whether the deal was good considering the circumstances, but I won’t hold my breath for anyone’s approval at this point

Sorry for the joke. You’ve done a great job on the discount but it just isn’t going to lease well so not sure what you are expecting us to tell you. If it makes her happy great but if you are looking for a great lease value this is not.

1 Like

Great job. I too was looking for an X1. I leased an 2021 Bmw X1 xdrive for $450 a month including taxes and fees. and drive off $1200. In the end, my little girl is happy to have a great car that fits her and its much safer than her old 1990 lexus ls400 which was stalling here and there. Esp in Southern Calif, you don’t want to be stuck anywhere. Peace of mind for me.

Please don’t necromance year old threads