First lease! Is this a good deal on a 2020 Range Rover Velar?

Check the marketplace for your region and you can see the deals that brokers have posted

You can’t just look at the MSRP of vehicles to determine how it will lease.

4 Likes

First vehicle that came to mind was the BMW X3, but that’s pretty much the de-facto leasehackr brand.

1 Like

MSRP doesn’t mean much in the world of leasing. Look at Volvos. $60k XC90s leasing in the 500s.

You can easily lease a X3M or X5 or GLE or Q7 in the $800-900 price range.

1 Like

Are you purchasing it or leasing it?

exactly, OP is being lazy and equating msrp to lease cost. That is not even true within the same brand let alone across brands. I’ve seen some X5s and Kia Tellurides lease similarly on here despite one having nearly double the msrp.

My advice is either 1) do the homework to figure out how much velars or other luxury suvs will lease at other dealers after negotiating or 2) use a broker to get a similar spec velar / luxury suv at (hopefully) a cheaper rate or 3)close your eyes and spend the money on an emotional purchase if that makes you happy and don’t look back.

1 Like

I see. I guess I was misinformed. I thought it was all a clear cut numbers game, no matter what brand.
Do Porsches lease at a good price as well? My “ranking” in terms of what I wanted was RR, Porsche, MB, and BMW, but price and good value definitely plays a big part

That same order is probably how they will lease from worst to best

5 Likes

No. You have a better chance at MB and BMW than RR from what I’ve seen. We see a lot more Benz and bimmer deals than rovers, as with Porsche and Rover, they have a more prestigious clientele and pedigree, resulting in lower discounts and programs, lease incentives, no boosted rv, etc.

If you’re in tx, check out insight auto consulting, an awesome Texas based broker team that deal in BMW, and can do customs. They are awesome and highly recommended.

Have you driven it yet? The 250 velar really doesn’t drive well. I drove one for a couple weeks when my daily was a camry and it couldnt have been more unimpressive. I was shocked frankly, changed my outlook on RR as a brand.
I cant tell you how to feel about it, but when I see a 250 drive by I say a silent prayer the owner will give other brands a try so he can get value from his money.

Haha $900 barely gets you into a decent midlevel Macan S

Yes…the tax credits help because you’re not paying the full 6.25% sales tax on the sales price of the vehicle. But that tax credit has no bearing on the discount off MSRP. So yes…the tax credit is good…the low discount off MSRP is bad. Don’t muddy the water by combining the sales tax savings and the dealer discount off MSRP. Those are 2 different figures. A lease is a line by line transaction…you have to check each line in the transaction. A big positive factor in one line of the lease doesn’t totally negate other deficiencies in the deal.

Tax credits don’t have anything to do with the discount… but glad they have them available for you on that model!

1 Like

Yeah…the tax credits save us a ton. I didn’t think they were available often on Rovers. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

1 Like

From the consumer side of the view, a tax credit is a courteous move to make a deal, and is provided by the captives so it technically has nothing to do with dealership discounts. As long as it’s not sold you still have the leverage, also the Velar isn’t as hot as the full size Range Rover.

On the other hand there are quite a lot wealthy Texans willing to pay 4-digit payment per month and inventory is slim… If some of them were presented with this deal they probably would jump on it.

This isn’t how leasing works

Just save everyone the time and take the car.

We all know you’re going to do it anyway

2 Likes

you and i have a similar taste. I will consider myself accomplished when I start not to care about several hundreds a month difference for the ride I want.

It’s primarily the fact that Porsche and Land Rover are the only two mainstream brands that don’t have a volume based prorating holdback. Other stores make more per car they sell, we don’t.

TLDR - We have no motivation to give stupid discounts

3 Likes

Thanks for insight! Didn’t know about volume holdback.