First BMW Service Due - Premature Alerts(?)

That is exactly what I was looking for. I also want to mention that did I not claim you have to get it serviced at a dealer, just that my dealer does a key read to see if it was serviced and if not BMW charges a $750 fee.

So BMW can tell by a key read if someone decides to change their own oil at home because going to the dealership for that person is inconvenient?

The key read will show no service has been performed at the dealer, so you will have to provide proof that service was performed at the correct intervals. We had a customer who performed their service at Jiffy Lube and it showed on the CarFax report so there was not a charge. It is free and you only have to do it once a year or 10,000 miles, so unless you live hundreds of miles from a dealer there is no excuse. Some dealers might not charge if they plan on keeping the car and selling it as non-CPO, but expect to be charged if you skip services so it can either be sold as certified (engine has to be taken apart and inspected) or sent back to BMW.

2 Likes

Find it mildly interesting that they will go through that extent just to certify the car.

It makes sense to me. I would not want to buy a car, let alone a German one, without service records. The worse one I saw was a 40,000 mile M4 without an oil change. They did not even perform the 1000 mile service so its full capability was never unlocked.

1 Like

Well, I meant on the whole taking apart the engine bit.

Seems excessive and certifying it/getting the premium from certifying it might just break even on that, probably just better to send it to auction at that point. Crazy that no one would change the oil on an M4 or at least not document it.

1 Like

Gotcha. I should clarify service does not disassemble the entire engine but part of it comes off for the inspection.

1 Like

It’s actually legal to require dealer service if it’s free. AFAIK

2 Likes

Yeah, having been on the service side of german luxury brand that part didn’t really jive with me. :upside_down_face:

It’s good to know though that BMW won’t just certify any old lease return in case I was ever interested in a non-leased car.

1 Like

But it’s not if the lease goes beyond 36k miles, or its transferred.

1 Like

Yes, I was probably the 12,000th LH member to get one.

Unless ultimate care plus.

Yeah but not everyone has a trunk the size of yours…

This 530i is a full double-ended d!ld0 shorter than my car, and they definitely took some of that room out of the trunk.

You should’ve asked for the M760i demo.

Speaking of premature alerts…

This is how it went:

“Is a 5 Series okay?”

“What else do you have?”

“A bunch of 3s.”

G20 > G30

Just saying.

The only 5 Series I’ve ever driven before this one was an M550i, so I figured…

And then 20 seconds into the drive home… :yawning_face:

Well it’s also true that whatever some guy says on a forum on the interwebs is true, so any lease return that is certified must be completely legit.