Family of 5, Mid Size SUV

None of the vehicles mentioned lease especially well, except maybe Highlander and Pilot (if you can lease through a credit union). However, I would urge you to pick the right vehicle for your family needs vs. what may be a good deal.

Ascent is a great SUV and if we needed the space, it would have been our choice over the Outback. It was not, and still isn’t, leasing especially well but it is wonderful.

My guess is whatever the monthly nut increase is to get the right vehicle is going to pale in comparison to your other expenses…

Maybe check with Mazda to see if they have a pull ahead program. The CX9 seems to be leasing pretty well. Acura MDX may be another one to check out.

GMC Acadia or Chevrolet Traverse:

Its a lease so you’re going to turn it in anyways. Has Apple CarPlay and can be done with Captain Chairs.

Or a Hyundai Palisade which people have been posting deals on and the interiors are nice.

Youre in the DC area (where I go to lease) and the deals are plentiful.

2 Likes

Someone did a good write up a few days ago on family oriented 3 row SUVs.

Most don’t lease well because it’s a very popular segment; manufacturers don’t need to subsidize to push units.

Thanks. Originally from the VB area. We are actually checking out a Traverse today. It is on the list.

Id check out the GMC Acadia too since theyre basically the same vehicle but tend to lease better:

2 Likes

Mazda also offers pull-ahead and lease loyalty - so maybe that would help cover the remaining payments. Could help you on a CX-9 deal as well as an acadia deal.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen here, leasing in VA is rather punitive from a tax standpoint. You pay tax on the selling price (ouch), and then you continue to pay property tax annually on top (double ouch).

Have you considered making a long term purchase instead?

The 2020 XC90 has Captains Chairs as an option now! Of course, theres no good deals to be had on the 2020 yet.

1 Like

Any update? Also, Id email dealers in Southern MD for a deal because you can save $$$ off the processing fee. MD is $299 and VA is $699+.

1 Like

VW Atlas has captain’s chairs as an option, as well.

Good to know! I sent a lot of inquiries yesterday to various dealers. I did expand my search and looking in MD as well.

thanks. I don’t think I had the qx60 initially on my radar, but will take a look at that too. I am lucky to live in an area where I do not have to go far to test all of these vehicles.

I know you want to avoid minivan…my wife did as well…but man automatic sliding doors are so nice. Also don’t have to deal with a big door swing when buckling kids in with tight parking spots. I’m 6’2" with 4 kids in car seats…

1 Like

Yeah minivans are not cool right now but they are certainly practical. We frequently take them from Enerald Aisle through National on vacation and they are just so superior to SUVs in terms of practicality. Sure you can fit everyone in a Pilot or QX60, but I hope you don’t also need a stroller plus luggage in the trunk with this row in use for passengers. I’ve only got a kid and a dog so can usually fit everyone in even an Accord but if we had another child I would definitely be the one pushing a minivan.

No way around this except driving older cars. But cars that don’t retain value well, like Infiniti and Volvo is one strategy. Helps reduce property tax pain for years 2 and 3. My bloody MDX is being assessed at 70% of MSRP for year three which sucks although is certainly in line with what Carvana/Vroom say it is worth.

4 kids in car seats! ahh…which minivan do you have?

Look at the Edmunds reviews for the Ascent. A lot of complaints about the CVT on the 2019 models. Failures, clunkiness, bad mpg.

Maybe they have improved it for 2020?

CX 9 - Nice interior, leases OK. Feels a lot smaller inside than others in the segment. Back opening is pretty small.

The 2019 MDX with Tech can be leased for ~420/mo right now. Lease incentive of $8,500. Seems to be a lot of 2019s left.

To get captains chairs you need to get the Advance, but I haven’t seen a quote for one.

We did all the math and ended up buying a 2017 CPO GLS450, can be had for ~$45-47k.

We returned our 2017 MDX lease, were thinking to get another 2019 one, but it’s just kinda boring and the entertainment system is really outdated.

1 Like

Yeah pretty nuts getting everyone in & out these days! We have a Honda Odyssey 8 seater. Been very flexible for us. When it was just 3 in carseats, I took out 2nd row center to make a captain’s chair arrangement (1 carseat 2nd row outboard, 2 others in the 3rd row). Now with 4 I put the console back in and leave 2nd row driver side open for adult passenger and sliding access to the 3rd row (carseats in middle and outboard for 2nd and 3rd rows).

My only real disappointment has been that I couldn’t fit FF carseats 3 wide in the 3rd row and kept a captain’s chair arrangement adding the 4th. My wife hated the idea of a minivan but she is a total convert to the practicality. And I just like not having to pay the SUV premium for that amount of cargo space and features.

1 Like

$369/mo with tax