Fair wear and tear?

I came home tonight to find my wife had put 2 nice scratches across the bumper of her car. Each one is comfortably inside the credit card rule but will I get away with it on fair wear and tear??

Who’s the lessor/leasing company? If you search on the forum, everyone has different policies and levels of adherence.

Edit: You’ll also need to check your wear/tear policies. Commonly 2” for scratches. The credit card is for exterior dents/dings/damage. YMMV

Thanks it’s VW Finance. Each scratch is under 2 inches but there are 2 of them…

Grab a little touch up paint. They even sell it in pen form now

3 Likes

Does that really pass the lease inspection??

Worth a try if you put the time into it and learn to do it properly… Not the simplest procedure since it involves wet sanding and polishing afterwards. A good job should pass inspection. You might be able to find a detailer willing to do it.

The touch up pens they sell aren’t really made for this process. They’re made to just be applied to top layer scratches.

VW allows 3 dings per panel, so you should be fine, especially if they are under 2 inches like you said…had a jetta 3 years back, had no issue at turn in, with multiple bumper scratches

VW is pretty liberal, touch-up should make it passable

1 Like

Sure, it isn’t ideal, but it’s a start at an improvement.

Touch up painting done by a newbie probably will look worse than the scratch.

My advice is to wait until lease turn-in time. Then get the vehicle inspected. If and only if the inspector flags those scratches would I do anything. And consider paying a pro to do it if you proceed.

I have a Honda, when you lease another Honda they forgive up to $1000 worth of damage. I have a nice softball sized dent on my front quarter panel that some fool did months back. I got quotes from $200 tonover $1200 to fix it. Right now I’m just going to turn it in and use that $1000 they forgive on any small dents or scratches. How many here have been in this situation?

Honda wear and tear

Excessive Wear-and-Use or Damage Waiver

Honda Leadership Leases include a $500 Excessive Wear-and-Use or Damage Waiver. Loyal customers1 who purchase or lease their next Honda vehicle may qualify for an additional waiver2 and may be eligible to get their turn-in fee waived3.

1 A loyal customer is one who purchases or leases another new Honda or Acura automobile within 30 days prior to or after the turn-in date.

2 Total amount waived not to exceed $1,000.

3 The turn-in fee amount depends on your state. See your lease contract for details. For specific benefit information on your current HFS lease contract, please log in to your HFS account and select End-of-Term.

Thanks all. That makes me feel a little better although now wishing I hadn’t bothered spending 600 to get additional perfection cover on my other car now!