Extended warranties and pre-existing conditions

So I bought a used Tesla out of warranty from auction, you can figure out the rest. I can add a third party extended warranty and cap my maximum repair costs. I think that makes sense, since replacing the car with a new model would cost 3x. However, I am turning to Leasehhackr because I need some keen legal advise. Here is the entire section on pre-existing conditions from the warranty:

IX. WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
Unless expressly provided herein, Coverage is not provided under this Contract:
For any pre-existing condition, for any Breakdown occurring prior to the Contract Period or during the Waiting Period or reported after the Expiration Date or Mileage, or if the information provided by You, or the repair facility cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be deceptively inaccurate.

Thus, a pre-existing condition seems be defined only by when the breakdown occurred and not, if a similar breakdown has occurred in the past, or if the same breakdown has occured again. Does anybody read this otherwise?

Need some info.

• How long/far out of warranty is the car?
  • Full service contract

Generally speaking, you’re in the clear after the mentioned periods unless you file for a repair that shows up on the VIN prior to coverage start. That or prior repairs are clear and obvious to the assessor.

Adding: I’ve heard of dudes that bought extended warranties after something broke, but wasn’t looked into or taken anywhere. They waited out the mentioned periods and got it fixed under warranty. Wouldn’t lean on that as YMMV.

1 Like

It’s a 2017 w/ 75k miles and the basic warranty expired in 2022 at 50k miles.
The battery and drivetrain warranty are still in effect until 2025 and unlimited miles. (no help here)
The X-Care EV program I am considering is a 3rd party extension of the basic warranty for 2yr/20k miles.

Sample service contract here;

I think you understand the nature of my question. The problem is that there is a service record of the problem from prior to the warranty start. However the issue is intermittent, a fix was applied, the car can be put back on the road, but the issue will most likely return.

Thanks!

Yeah I figured, but ya never know. Pretty good exclusionary warranty from what I can tell. But unfortunately, even the best warranties won’t cover that scenario. You’d be relying on hope that the assessor isn’t thorough.

1 Like

I’m curious how thorough an assessor could be. Tesla will not release service history to third parties, for example I can’t get the service history of the car from before I owned it. Tesla also does not report service work to carfax or autocheck, so to my knowledge it will not appear on any VIN type reports. (all my Tesla’s only have DMV records on carfax).

There’s a clause in your contract (Section VII.B.a) that for Teslas specifically you need to call a number and register the claim first before any repairs can be made. I’d guess that’s how they check it.