Exorbitant Title Fees

Hey everyone,

Getting a car out of state for my fiancé and they’ve slapped a massive $1300 “Title Fee” on the final sales price. When pressed on it, they said it’s a 3rd party service who pulls the fees directly from my state (MI). I’ve bought plenty of out of state cars and have never had that sort of fee assessed that high. I asked if I could register the vehicle myself, they said because it has a lien on it, I can’t. Is there any workaround here?

Are they doing all the registration for you? Sounds like you bought it from a FL dealer.

You sure it isn’t just a hold in case reg fees come back higher than estimated?

One of my shops had to do this for a short while on OOS reg/sale because DMV Nationwide was being unreliable.

Yes. They’re from WV

They didn’t describe it as a hold, they said that’s what their 3rd party is charging them. Could very well be a hold, but im not sure

GL getting that back from someone who sounds shady AF.

Also: I’ve had no problem registering lien’d cars registered myself in 3 different northeast states.

Dealt with something similar. The dealer supposedly did not do out of state deals often and had a paid 3rd party service that handled the temp tags and registration. They told me it was a $2500 service but after complaining and catching them double taxing me, all of a sudden there was no charge for it. Different times so I’m sure they were more compelled to sell the car than what you deal with now.

1 Like

You can bring the MSO to SOS and register it yourself. Lien has no impact. If it is leased or financed, ask the bank for a POA.

Did this with my Chappy Jeep in MI. They basically sent all the docs to SOS, and SOS never completed the registration. SOS said I needed POA if I wanted to take over registration process since the docs said Chappy had POA to register. No issues after that.

IMO it is easier to do it at a local SOS vs state capital. However, the local SOS office can pull registration paperwork from Lansing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.