EV / Phev recommendation

, ,

Hello Fellow Hackrs,

I have been MIA from the forum for a few months and am still catching up but would like your input / recommendations on where to focus my search.

Although enjoying our 2023, 330i - we do miss being in an EV and need a roomier vehicle that we can share - lots of low MPG city driving combined with us moving to an area with lots of free public charging (including EA) and a garaged house had me thinking about going back to an elecritifed ride.

I am looking for more trunk space and leg room VS the 3 series (doesn’t have to be an SUV), range not an issue but ability to get out/transfer lease in 12 to 18 months is important. 24 months preferred and want to be in the 500/600 sign and drive range max on a lease. We qualify for the 7500 but would rather not spend the money on a purchase.
I also know EV inventory is building up and I wanted to see if this also could help.

Thats probably a lot of ask for one vehicle but if there’s anything out there that fits some of the criteria I’d love to hear from you.

Thanks!

In a very rough ascending order of pricing

Niro EV
Ioniq 5 or 6
JGC 4xe
Mazda CX90

As always, check the Marketplace for these and any other offers that escape the top of my head.

3 Likes

Niro isn’t that much roomier. The Subaru Solterra/Toyota Bz4x is also throw in that list as roomy and able to get big discounts on and a payment under 500 and free to sell to 3rd parties if you want out.

2 Likes

I think the IONIQ 5 SEL fits your criteria.

1 Like

I’d say this need makes Hyundai less appealing (even though it’s a better vehicle) with the challenge selling to 3rd parties.

Mazda Subaru and Toyota would allow you to get out easier. Values in 12 months? Who knows. Maybe Mazda has a shot at being decent. Jeep is easy to get out but GC4xe have values that tanked after a year.

1 Like

thanks thats a helpful start for me to do some more digging.
I figured the Kia/Hyundai may be a tough sell in terms of getting out.
IX BMW below 600? one can hope :slight_smile:

Hyundai offers 24/12, but if you need to get out earlier, might be bothersome.

1 Like

Rav4 prime probably best chance of holding value If you need to be out in a year but payments aren’t great (600ish) and it’s the very definition of a transportation appliance.

are we talking lease? I thought these were only a purchase candidate.

TFS is applying 6500 against the cap cost on leases and many dealers will discount. So you can be just over 40 at the jump after fees and discount on a 46k sticker. But the payments aren’t great compared to other options.

Even if you could get the iX for below 600(which is probably not gonna happen,) you should look into the insurance costs.

Yea…looks like 680 all in 36m/10k 8.4tax with 27500 residual on a 50k Msrp xse

I thought Toyota FS started restricting 3rd party buyouts? Anyway even when you’re free to transact, negative equity isn’t free.

Much better to throw the keys back after a 24m lease than take market value risk on some of the least desirable EV like the BZ.

This and the Prius Prime (size permitting) are 100% better candidates than the BZ for any scenario where you’re not taking a lease to term and therefore take on market value risk.

1 Like

Might want to look at the Nissan Ariya. I don’t know if nmac allows lease transfers, or if they do anything less than 24 months.

How about Volvo XC40/C40? Fits all your criteria, but the only part I don’t know about is the lease exit.

It’s a good option, but they are 2 year waitlist for both rav4 prime and prius prime near me.

Lol, 2 year wait list. @Jrouleau426 will get you a Rav4 Prime for thousands off sticker right now and you can ship it to yourself in a matter of days.

2 Likes

I am just going to leave this here

https://electrek.co/2023/08/29/toyota-takes-another-hit-suspending-all-assembly-operations-in-japan/

Text me

Jim
215-359-6836