EV Discussion Thread

Every global automaker needs an EV lineup to compete in Europe, Asia, etc.

1 Like

The Tesla Shame Shame landfill should include both the anti-Tesla and ridiculously pro-Tesla stuff like this. @z0lt3c where you at.

1 Like

Tesla was founded in ~2003 and didn’t turn a profit until ~2020. Thats 17 or 18 years to grow a startup EV company into sustainable profitability. As long as the Saudi’s keep pumping cash into Lucid, and Bezos keeps floating Rivian, both will stick around a bit longer. I don’t think either was expecting success at this point. They need to expand beyond North America, because that’s the only market showing a slowdown.

7 Likes

But EV market not doing good…it won’t surprise me if everyone stops the rush to make EVs. Only thing will change is if Gas prices go through the roof with another war, etc. there is no incentive for people to buy an EV…$7500 is not enough and some states are even making people pay “highway use” fee if you have an EV. Only way this can work is if income caps are removed from the 7500 tax credit + an additional cash for clunker type of credit for people to really get into EVs

aahhh okay you’re just trolling now? - the data doesnt back up your statement that the ‘EV market not doing good’ - just because some of the legacy carmakers like Toyota and GM can’t get their shit together to give some much needed competition to Tesla doesn’t mean the market is bad.

1 Like

I was going to post here:

But it seems like I’m seeing a lot more price cuts from non-Teslas.

Even Hyundai that is doing well in EV sales has recently dropped some incentives:

I am just stating that ev market I.e. resale value is not good…EV’s are depreciating…who is going to buy an EV if the moment you drive off a lot it’s 40% down the value. Not everyone wants to lease cars.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-Topic Landfill 6

Did you post that the SLR isnt good?

Nissan is counting their luck (and their Benjamins) that Hyundai was a couple months slower in going back to their aggressive pricing. I imagine many of the people who jumped on the Ariya deal would have jumped on an SEL or Limited Ioniq 5 instead if they’d been as competitively priced. :laughing:

Toyota can’t get their shit together? :joy: my retirement says otherwise. Up 20% this month. 45% in 6 plus some divis

I think you meant ford. Toyota chose correctly to sit this one out and is being highly rewarded.

Tesla had the luxury of essentially no direct competition for most of their journey to profitability. If you wanted an EV that wasn’t a goofy Nissan Leaf, Tesla was the only game in town. Unfortunately for the current crop of startups they have very intense competition from automakers with far superior distribution and service capabilities. I doubt investors give them the runway that they gave Tesla.

1 Like

Well… a large part of Toyota’s success isn’t because it’s sitting out on EVs, it’s because they are the value leader.

I really think they could have done an EV Tacoma and dominated the EV truck segment.

1 Like

There are pros/cons to both.

The Ioniq 5 has faster charging, the free EA perk, true one pedal driving and passenger roominess.

The Ariya is more upright so sits a little higher and has some good tech in the mid-range trims.

I like that both have that open space in the front row instead of a full length console.

If I were just charging at home, probably would have got the Ariya… the free EA charging lets me park the Ioniq outside or on the street since my garage is already taken up by EV/PHEV.

If they went all in on ev they would be in the same position as others losing billions. Bz4x is a megaflop. Theres many articles about that out there before the ev boom criticizing them and now praising them.

2 Likes

They also tried to emulate Tesla making funky futuristic designs, and that hasn’t been well received. There was no purpose for that imo, you’re trying to get new people to adopt a platform, keep things simple. Theres a reason most cars and trucks look the same, it’s the most functional design.

2 Likes

Well, they probably will, but Toyota is rarely leading innovation.

They will wait until the tech is matured and the market is ready to be dominated by a value leader, and then they’ll do what they do best and @Jrouleau426 will be swimming in a pool of cash…

1 Like

Yeah 60k tacos aren’t being very well accepted I doubt 70k ones will either :joy: Toyotas being a bit too aggro on pricing imo lately. They need to chill

1 Like

Because it wasn’t competitive in a crowded space.

With Tesla dominating that segment, putting out an EV Tacoma would have been good counter programming.

And just like Ford was able to come out with the Lightning way faster than Tesla and Chevy… I think the truck format would have been an easy production path using some Toyota ingenuity and existing lines (or are the Germans the only ones who can EQB/GLB).

But I’m a couch engineer so I’m probably way off.

1 Like

Wow. That’s like Stellantis territory.

Are they at least doing nice rebates?