EV charging station $1,000 federal credit

Can anyone confirm if there is a $1,000 federal tax credit for installing a ev charging station at home?
I’ve read conflicting items online and was wondering if anyone could confirm a credit is available for 2020?

Thank you.

My reading of this is that they extended the credit through 2020, which means it applies retroactively, and through the end of this year. You get a 30% credit of the cost of the charger and installation, up to $1,000.00.

Nice find - that’s a few extra dollars to offset the cost of installing chargers and the whole EV experience.

Yes, it was posted here already. The law expired with year 2016 when i took advantage of it but now got reinstated.

Can you please elaborate on how that worked? You installed a charging station and got a tax credit of 30% of the installation cost? What documentation was required in order to receive the credit?

Thanks,

No documentation was “necessary” to get the credit…but if you are audited you will need a receipt for the charging station and for installation costs. In Turbo Tax there was a provision to declare if you installed an ev charger, solar, etc. The 30% cost credit will get deducted from your federal liability…in my case, i had to pay $500 less in federal because of the install.

2 Likes