EV charger incentive question, specifically for JCP&L customers

Hi all, any NJ JCP&L EV owners here? I’m looking to get an iX soon and want to install a charger eligible for the JCP&L rebate program. Initially I was going to use the included charger so I wanted a NEMA port installed but now I can’t tell if I would get the rebate, anyone else do this or did you hard wire an eligible charger instead?

You have to use a EVSE from the list of permitted connectors.
Essentially the program requires them to be able to monitor your charging.

You can find that list here; jcpl-ev-customer-program-guide (firstenergycorp.com)

1 Like

@FadyDizzle Also in NJ and interested in this program.

What are cons of them monitor your charging? Can they throttle it based on your usage and overall demand of the grid?

I think they monitor it because they offer overnight charging credit of like 2 cents per kw. I don’t think they’ll care if you charge too much, more money for them

Essentially the program forces you into using an inferior EVSE to allow for data collection which the utility will use exclusively to their benefit. They can control charging, see your charging history and even track what vehicle you are connecting. The reason that Tesla connectors are not on the list – is because Tesla actually has strong privacy protection. All this to save $0.02 (and only if you are willing to charge in the time window).

Don’t mean to be a smart Alec but serious question, do you know their use of the data by reading their terms of conditions or is this what you heard from a friend?