European agency will require more physical controls for top safety scores

I hope US agencies adopt something similar…

“To be eligible for the maximum safety rating after the new testing guidelines go into effect, cars will need to use buttons, dials, or stalks for hazard warning lights, indicators, windscreen wipers, SOS calls, and the horn.”

Call me old fashioned but bring back physical HVAC and Audio controls

11 Likes

Is this aimed at Tesla? all my previous cars including my current Ariya had those.
Though ‘indicators’ is an odd bird, wonder what they mean

I believe that in Europe turn signals are referred to as indicators.

1 Like

Do you drive a BMW? Is that why you don’t know what indicators are?

ITS A JOKE

6 Likes

I wouldn’t put it past really shitty companies like VW or Tesla I guess but do any cars actually have turn signals or hazard lights or wipers in a touchscreen?

Tesla has a ‘button’ for wipers on / off but everything else is touchscreen (speed / auto / intermitent)

Ohmigod, I had no idea. Wow, what a horrific idea. B/c what could go wrong when you’re fumbling through a screen to change the wiper speed when you’re driving a heavy, powerful vehicle in the rain? Yikes. Is there at least a voice control option for the wiper speed?

1 Like

Wiper on screen is the least of your worries. Check Tesla S plaid gear selector

This just killed a Billionaire (who’s related to a Senator), so I’m sure it’s getting changed

1 Like

I think idrive 8 is already bad enough (we need the Max AC button to be easy to access in AZ). I wouldnt be able to handle everything on a touch screen.

Okay, so I know that the NY Post is hardly the most reputable source of info, but what criminal activity did law enforcement think occurred??? And is getting electrocuted a valid concern?

Yes.

The way one interacts with the system isn’t its biggest flaw (voice command or hitting the single sweep/washer button on the stalk brings up wiper settings so that you’re not fumbling through submenus on screen while driving).

It’s that “auto” is often useless.

A Tow truck driver should always be aware of things and a high voltage battery could eletrocute them.

And for the police? Was it a Hit ordered by Elon? You always hear about stuff like that.

And it wasn’t just NYP, I read it in a few other places including my local OC Register so maybe more legit.

Then, IMHO, EV makers need to figure out some sort of protocol so that people trapped in a car aren’t abandoned by people wanting to rescue them. :frowning:

I’m positive there is such a protocol, but how many tow truck drivers have the time to attend a seminar on how to do it?

Sure they’ll find the time when someone sues them…

Further proof that these old as dirt billionaires really are as smart as a bag of rocks

For once, a regulation I can support. #bringbackbuttons

3 Likes

50 is old as ‘dirt’? Dang

1 Like