End of Lease Advice Needed

Kia Sorrento but tough to get a good lease, maybe a used one?

So I got my first quote from a dealer. They’re not discounting the car at all. Sticker at $45,335. All they did was the current $360 Mazda rebate. First question…are people seriously paying sticker for these right now!? I have NEVER been given a quote at sticker before.

So they said $493/month with $2,000 down AND taking into account $3,900 in positive equity on our trade (so $5,900 down). To me this is absolutely insane. I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything here…I know the market is crap right now, but paying sticker?? I thought only maybe the Telluride was like this right now…

That’s the universe trying to steer you away from the cx9

Okay let’s stop that please. Thanks. Just because you hate a car doesn’t mean everyone else would or should. Not helping me here.

Well let’s try this differently.

What was your target price going into the conversation and why were you asking for a quote at all?

You asked the dealer how much they want you to pay and aren’t happy with what they told you.

I’m commenting on the car because I’ve had years of first hand experience with a cx9 and a passport(which is just a pilot with a chopped tail). I’m opinionated for a reason here.

Oh I fully expected the first quote to be bad. I wasn’t even really trying to get a quote yet. I was reaching out to an out of town dealer who happened to have the exact one my wife likes, mainly to check to make sure they actually still had it and see what they would offer on our current Nissan. I was more shocked at the fact that they’re trying to sell the car at sticker price. I’ve never encountered that before for any lease we’ve gotten in the past. I didn’t know if that meant the CX-9 is really that hot right now or if it’s just a lousy dealer being…a dealer.

In honesty, I’m not sure what to expect right now for discounts on that car. I was hoping maybe someone here had some experience there.

It will be in the shared Deals sub

1 Like

Some people are, yes. You are shopping at one of the worst times in history (who else remembers C4C?) - the shortages are real, Mazda dealers have been shorted on their allocations, with little to none on the way. If you want to be successful, start by resetting your expectations.

Put together a target deal based on shared deals, move to a strategy of making offers (which is what @mllcb42 and @max are getting at), cast a wider net.

Were I you, I’d see if any brokers are back to moving Mazda (last month many were cut off due to shortages).

So I have an update…and it’s not a good one.

We decided on the CX-9. I communicated with a dealer about 2 hours away who was a breath of fresh air and very willing to negotiate. Had a deal all worked out, pretty good one too considering the times. Then they called Nissan for our payoff and everything broke down. All of these dealerships had been telling me that yes, they could take our Nissan lease in on trade, no problem. Well…wrong. Evidently none of these dealers knew what was going on and this one got told by Nissan Financial that they could not buy out our lease and take it in on trade. No one can but a Nissan dealer. Just like what was said on here, and I was hoping wasn’t really fully true. So…we cannot take our Pathfinder ANYWHERE but a Nissan dealer. This is now also almost guaranteeing that our equity is going to mean jack squat. Basically any hope for us moving to a non-Nissan product right now has been dashed. So now we are having to look at downsizing for a Murano or even a Rogue. We are not happy at all, but there really isn’t much we can do about it. Sure we can buy our car and then turn around and trade it in, but then we’re paying for sales tax on TWO cars. Not gonna happen. Ugh. I am so fed up and frustrated with this whole thing, and the clock is ticking. Our lease is over the end of this month.

1 Like

I also have a 2018 Pathfinder my wife loves. Our situation is a little different from yours in that our lease is up at the end of August and Carvana is saying we are +$800 for equity.
Here is what I am thinking and I hope it helps you a little.
First thing is I don’t think 800 is worth the whole buy out resell process, if it was more I would crunch the numbers so I am taking that off the table as an option.
We really like the Pathfinder, except for the CVT transmission they have already replaced ours and we are under 36k miles. So buying this one out at the end of the lease is off the table. We think we would like the 2022 Pathfinder based on the initial reviews and descriptions (no CVT). I am also looking at Highlanders and I would love to find a great deal on an XC60. Timeline, for the rest of June I am doing my homework and research, using this site all the great advice and calculator, reading what the brokers are saying, Edmonds, etc. I’m also going to reach out to Nissan for the details on extending my lease if I decide to wait for the 2022 Pathfinder or terminate early if I find a great deal. Second, mid-July I will start sending out dealer requests based on my calculator numbers. If I can’t find something I can jump on then I will fall back to extending my current lease if I find something then maybe I’m looking at one month or no early termination. My intent is when I send out dealer emails I will be ready to deal, as I don’t want to waste anyone’s time.
If I was in your shoes, I would probably look at extending your current lease, it will give you more breathing space, you can enjoy your June, maybe the markets shift by fall/winter and you can see if the 2022 Pathfinder fit your needs.

Whatever direction you choose, keep us updated please.

1 Like