End of Lease Advice Needed

Buy out the vehicle and then turn around and sell it.

2 Likes

Correct:

• buy the lease out or get a ligthtstream loan, BUT pay sales tax before you sell the car, or
  • a Nissan dealer can buy it out, or
  • you can ground the lease by the disposition date

So I’d say we go to a Honda dealer and she wants a Pilot…the only way we can use the $6k in equity towards that is to go through the process of buying out the lease ourselves at a Nissan dealer, then coming back in and trying to trade it in to Honda?

Right now, yes. You’re about 2 weeks late on NMAC’s policy change, and there is no getting around it. The bank owns the car, they will allow you to buy it, or one of their dealers. That’s it.

If you go through with the purchase and have a title in your name (lien is fine if financed), you can sell it to anyone.

However someone like Carmax, Carvana, etc might offer more than your local Honda dealer.

PS: not sure if it’s been mentioned but you can also try calling Nissan Financial to see if they can extend your lease. Say you’re waiting for the new Pathfinder to come out.

Well we went out today to drive everything to at least narrow the search down. We have found two winners. The wife now wants either a Honda Pilot or Mazda CX-9. Looking at the Touring trim for the Pilot and the Grand Touring for the Mazda. Now to try to figure out which one is going to be a better lease…

1 Like

Do you need a 2 row or a 3 row suv?

3 row. We tried some smaller 2 row options and the wife absolutely hated them.

So pilot it is then

The Mazda has 3 rows too. I just need to figure out which option is going to lease better right now, and which one I can deal more on.

After being stuck with a current gen cx9 for a couple years, I can definitively say it does not have a 3rd row. It has an obstruction in the cargo area that someone jokingly called a seat once. If you’re looking for a 3 row suv because you actually need to use the 3rd row, there is no comparison between these two vehicles.

1 Like

Here we go again lol lol

2 Likes

Hey, I held my tongue about all the other reasons it’s a miserable vehicle. There’s no debating to be had about the 3rd row space and cargo area being significantly smaller than the pilot, making it of very little value for someone that needs to use the 3rd row for anything but small children.

1 Like

So far nothing has broken, fallen off, quit working on our 2021 and the 3rd row is a non issue because we have a small 5yr old child in a booster seat. Gets decent gas mileage and the Grand Touring is nice enough on the inside that it’s not a Highlander.
It’s not a sportscar but for a hauler to school and trips it’s been a nice purchase for the price.

OP where do you live??? @StlVDub

1 Like

We know the CX-9 is a smaller option, and we do not actually use a 3rd row for seats, but we do use the cargo room. And my wife drove 5 models so far and the two she actually liked were the CX-9 and the Pilot.

We live in southern indiana btw.

What about a XC 60?

Plenty of cargo room with the 3rd row down peppy enough in sport mode.

Got mine for $449/mo with $449 DAS 36,12k in early April 21. 10.25% off MSRP.

I think you can still shoot for 7 to 9% off MSRP if you find one now.

1 Like

As long as it isn’t tall or wide. The rear opening dimensions limits the usefulness for cargo compared to the competition. The CX9 is pretty much the worst vehicle in the 3 row segment for cargo usability due to the roof line and rear opening design.

If the space works for you, great. It was just one of the things that I grew to hate about the CX9 while I had one… for such a large vehicle, it’s very small inside.

So why are you looking for a 3-row SUV? There are 2-row SUVs with similar or more cargo room than a CX9

I understand, but it’s my wife’s opinion. She loves her Pathfinder and doesn’t want anything vastly different from it. And even though we don’t need or use a third row, there are features that only 3 row suvs have that we like…like second row captains chairs and namely independent a/c and heat controls for the second row. For example, we drove a Murano and she hated it…yet she loves the Pathfinder. It’s all about the feeling for her, and she just wants that feeling of something bigger.