Does lease buyout void CPO? Mercedes

I was undecided so did a short term lease on a CPO mercedes demo then during pandemic bought it out at the price listed in lease directly from MBFS. My original warranty is up but I thought I had an additional year/unlimited miles and was told the car is not registered as CPO in dealer system. Apparently the CPO is voided when you buy it out. Doesn’t seem to say that anywhere that I can find. Neither dealer nor MBFS mentioned that during any communications regarding lease end. All I can find is that typically a Mercedes CPO transfers to next owner in private party transaction. Can’t find anything regarding a CPO leased then bought out directly.

Doesn’t make any sense at all. Did you talk to MBFS yet?

They don’t have any explanation either. The person I’m speaking to (who is looking at elevating a repair - that would have been covered had I still had original warranty or the CPO) said to check w/dealer which I’ve already done. I’ve looked over all docs. I don’t think they ever registered it as CPO but they certainly sold it (or leased it) as one. I have all of those docs, the ipacket from when I was looking at the car, the original advertising, the actual CPO inspection reports etc… Seems very unethical to sell/lease a CPO then either not activate it or pull the warranty without notification. Even the emails related to the process or turning in the car off lease make no mention. Ultimately we just paid MBFS instead of going through the dealer at end of lease to purchase the car because there were added fees. Not one thing I can find other than them now telling me that’s how it works.

1 Like

Buying out the lease shouldn’t have anything to do with the warranty.

What did the dealer say when you contacted them?

The issue is most likely that the car was never officially CPO’d by the dealer in the first place, not that you somehow lost the CPO when you bought it out. This is a dealer issue and nothing to do with MBFS.

“Mr. Dealer, you sold me this car as a CPO, however now that I have a warranty item the CPO is not showing up. Please fix this.”

1 Like

The opposite is true for quite a few CPO programs last I checked: non-private party transactions void the CPO warranty.

It’s plausible this is what triggered yours. It shouldn’t have, and somebody within MBUSA’s CPO administration should hopefully be able to fix it.

1 Like

Agree, MBF provides a feed of off lease / auction cars to MBUSA, it cancels the CPO / ELW warranty. My guess is his was inadvertently caught in the feed and should be reinstated as he’s the original purchaser.

1 Like

Haven’t gotten to the right person yet. No one I’ve talked to at MBUSA has any knowledge of how this works. MBFS said they don’t handle warranties ‘ to call dealer. Dealer says CPO drops when you buy out lease, but has no documentation of this.

The dealer has access to the warranty hotline. They can speak with the warranty admin and have it reinstated.

If only they had any interest in being helpful. The dealer said I’d have to pay to have it re-certified. That’s in their interest.

Try asking for Joseph Haller (904) 741-0801 or email him josephhaller@mbusa.com

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.