Do you recommend Gap insurance for new lease

What do I do if I want to lease a Toyota or Mazda with Geico as insurance, as Geico does not offer gap insurance, does that mean I cannot use Geico to insure a Toyota/Mazda or is there an extra fee I can pay as part of the lease to cover this?

1 Like

Iā€™m almost 100% sure that all major manufacturers either require GAP insurance or have it already included in a price.

Wow i just googles afla romeo leases and several dealership websites suggest that customers get GAP insurance. Holy fucking hell. Why canā€™t they just require GAP insurance or include it. IMO such a headache to deal with customers who are $10k in a hole after they total the car.

I was quoted $15 for 6 months by my insurance company. I donā€™t want to pay if I know itā€™s included with my lease. I checked with Ally and itā€™s included with the lease.

Itā€™s just a very cheap way to be reinsured. Insurance companies reinsure themselves all the time, this is just another layer at the consumer level. Iā€™m not saying I would pay any amount of money for this additional protection, but for $.80 a month Iā€™m OK with itāœ”ļø

Sure, but in this case, the only risk of your gap coverage from the captive not working is if the captive goes underā€¦ in which case there are other issues and secondary gap coverage wonā€™t do you any good anyway.

Donā€™t remind me of all the money I lost when I bought GM stock 10 years ago, LOL

Thatā€™s the thingā€¦ there are dealerships that will sell GAP for a lease that already includes it. 100% profit, straight in their pocket.

For my previous cars/policy, I see I kept on paying $8 and $14 for 6-month coverage. Not again!

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago I realized I was paying ~$16 a year per car for roadside assistance on two of our cars that have the same coverage through other means.

@spockvr6, would you have kept both and placed two phone calls if you needed help, to see who arrived first? :slight_smile:

I canceled the roadside assistance and also downgraded the rental car coverage to whatever threshold was $0 OOP ($20 a day, I think).

Yes, I unfortunately do have double coverage on the cars for roadside assistance as well. I get auto insurance through AAA, but we save so much on the premium through them that the $59 a year for the AAA membership can be tolerated.

Auto insurance in Florida is AWFUL.

You should ā€œrun out of gasā€ and have them each bring you 5 gallons on a day youā€™ll be at home all day anyway.

And then repeat that on as many days as you can get away with. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I have used about 5 gallons of gas in the past three months! Iā€™ve probably used a lot more electrons though.

1 Like

Anyone here have experience with gapdirect? Itā€™s about $200 to cover your car with GAP insurance for 3 years.

I have Geico and they do not offer GAP. So I have to go third party or through the dealer.

Dealers generally charge ~$1K so that comes out to $330/yr for coverage. Very expensive compared to getting it with your policy (if applicable) or to get it 3rd party. Usually those insurance companies that offer it with your policy are about $30-50/yr extra. Not bad.

I had a total loss a year or so ago (flood). I did not purchase GAP insurance with the lease. I too was nervous that Iā€™d have to pay to cover the loss but, in this case, I did not lose a penny. In fact, the car was valued at more than my payoff so I got a refund check. It was US Bank so maybe they had GAP already. It was about 1 year into the lease.

In 2015 I leased a Lexus. I was told that Lexus has GAP insurance for all their vehicles. That was after I declined. So the person prob just did me a favor by telling me that but my guess is they donā€™t normally let you know. In a lease you are just borrowing the car from an owner. But you are responsible to the owner. Therefore, the owner needs to protect itself. Iā€™m am sure all Lessors have full coverage including GAP on all their lease vehicles. They just try to get you to pay for it. Same with taxes. You donā€™t pay taxes on a lease, the owner does. But they get the tax from you (unless there is a promotion).

To offer input into the OPā€™s thread, I would say if you can get it cheap from the dealer do it. Cheap to me is $200-300 max. Otherwise go third party. But an extra $300 (which is for the life of the lease) is a small amount to pay if there is a 50% chance you will owe money at the end of your total loss.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone used/uses gapdirect or any other third party. I havenā€™t seen any reviews for the gapdirect relative to auto loss.

GapDirect has the usual [I hate them] posts but all I could find was from 2015 which were Medical Insurance.
This might be a different GapDirect

A loophole I noticed in the Terms says [KBB Value or equivalent] which means they might have some wiggle room in the difference between what your insurance considers the value of the car and what they do.

So you might still be out $1000 after all that.

And most of the reviews I read say that keep an eye on your KBB value and if it is near the Payoff (Within $500) cancel the Gap as itā€™s useless at that point. (And get a prorated refund)

Looks like GAP is included with Volo lease deals too as this link suggests: https://www.volvocars.com/us/shopping-tools/additional-choices/financial-services#:~:text=Our%20GAP%20waiver%20is%20included,no%20additional%20cost%20to%20you.&text=If%20your%20leased%20Volvo%20is,Financial%20Services%20less%20any%20deductible.

But what about the ā€˜excess wear and tear protectionā€™? People on this forum who have leased before or lease frequently, what do you guys recommend?

Hereā€™s some food for thought:

Does it have Lost Key protection?
Most W&T donā€™t cover the tires.
If you lease from the Same Brand they usually give some forgiveness which may include the Disposition Fee (Kia does for sure)