DMV Fees for Lease Transfer in California

I tried the search function but could not find relevant topics. Hope to get answer from fellow hackrs who had experience as a transferee.

I am in California and have just paid the DMV registration renewal fee (due 1/8) for my 2021 leased BMW. If I do a lease transfer, will the person who takes over my lease has to pay the fee again (whether in whole or partial) when he or she goes to DMV to register the vehicle to his/her name? Any other fees that will need to be paid?

Thank you in advance!

Registration would not need to be paid again. The new leasee would only need to pay the transfer fee.

2 Likes

They will not have to pay anything until it is set to renew/expire on 1/8/23. After that, the only fees they might have to pay are a title change fee ($15.00 when I assumed my BMW lease in late 2017) and an $8.00 Smog Certificate Transfer Fee. These fees may have increased/changed, and BMW might assess them to the new transferees BMW account.

(Jon beat me to it. Apologies as I saw the answer posted after I was composing mine. The fees are the same price for now.)

1 Like

Jon and BPitch,

Thank you both for the speedy response and advice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.