Denied insurance

have you taken a defensive driver course? :slightly_smiling_face:

Another random thoughtā€¦ but have you tried some of the newer Fintech-flavored insurance companies like Lemonade?

Iā€™m not even sure that thatā€™s the best example, but at least some companies in this genre are staying in business because of VC money, and not because theyā€™ve unlocked the magical secrets of effective underwriting.

2 Likes

As they say in the businessā€¦thereā€™s an ass for every seat. Iā€™m not saying it wonā€™t cost him a pretty penny, but he could find a taker depending on how badly he wants to dump it.

agreedā€¦ for example someone who gets an inspection to make sure itā€™s okay and then puts it on Turo in Miami lol

Itā€™s getting obvious that continuing to seek coverage for this car is not a winning path. The fact that youā€™re even considering violating your lease agreement and leaving yourself completely exposed if you get into a 5th accident is ludicrous. Are you really that close to bankruptcy as it is that it makes no difference to go that route?

As others have said, you need to look into getting out of the 840. Have you looked into this? Do you have equity? Underwater?

You need to figure this out ASAP. Then decide if getting a used lower priced car and liability only insurance is even worth it.

1 Like

@jeisensc - not sure the OPs credit score was mentioned, but Iā€™d think that matters too for insurance? No idea how good/bad his score is, of course.

1 Like

he has a 840xi, shouldnā€™t be the issue here

1 Like

It might have gone down since he leased, for example. We are guessing here, anyway.

1 Like

As mentioned above credit score is the biggest factor in personal insurance, but not much he can do in a few days

1 Like

Didnā€™t want to re-read all 90 posts :slight_smile:

In the states that allow it to be considered, and the insurers who weight it heavily, yes.

Credit score possibly, CLUE report definitely, demographics (where is the vehicle and is it garaged), and the loss ratio of that specific vehicle would all factor-in.

Credit aside, OPā€™s had a lot of expensive claims in a short period, and the vehicle has a high replacement value and a not-low loss ratio.

2 Likes

Tldr: Comparatively risky history + big and fast and expensive bmw = big insurance bill?

2 Likes

My GUESS for OPā€™s current carrier, they fell off the edge of more than one actuarial table. Which is why I originally counseled (1) check your CLUE and dispute any errors (2) start looking at options to unload this car. I donā€™t see any updates that they attempted either, continuing to shop carriers. Maybe theyā€™ll find something more affordable for their current situation, at least in an owned Camry they could drop collision and their comp will be significantly lower. :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

There is no story behind this. Itā€™s just a a string of bad luck that came along after my first claim on October 2021 which I got rear ended by a stolen car and just stoled the car 15 min before it rear ended me which resulted in a total lost to my 2021 Bmw x7 40xi

1 Like

You may be able to look into boutique type car insurance for agreed value with Grundy or hagerty.

Maybe cheaper then your best offer so far

Maybe try checking Erie. Auto Insurance | Erie Insurance

Also Check the link on this website.

I would get out of the pricey car and get into a boring car with a ton of safety features to stop you from hitting other cars and objects. A Camry or Subaru will be far cheaper to insure.

Or park/unload the car and go into one of those car rental/sharing deals that include insurance like Finn or Flexcar or one of the ones from the automakers. Then you stay in a high end ride.

1 Like

After 90+ responses, it feels like OP is hell bent on keeping the BMW, while trying to avoid paying for the right coverage as required in their lease contract.

10 Likes

I donā€™t know why this thread has been allowed to carry on for so long.

Hopefully weā€™ll actually hear what the ā€œresolutionā€ ends up being.