Dealership says advertised sale price does not apply to leases

So I found a retired loaner 2019 Jaguar F-Pace 25T Premium at my local dealership. MSRP $58k, advertised sale price $48k. Plugging in their advertised numbers and the lease values for my region from Edmunds, I got a payment around $500 even if they didn’t come further off MSRP. Seemed like a good starting point, so I reached out. I was immediately told before I ever even mentioned a lease that the price was only for a purchase. He seemed to be heading me off before I suggested a lease. I asked him what a lease would look like on this loaner and he came back to me with a completely nonsensical $975 a month. I would have to pay well over MSRP to hit that payment. Is this a common thing I will run into, advertised prices not being applicable to leases? Or did I just get a very lease-hostile dealership/salesman?

Write him back, tell him that the F Pace just had its worst 3 month sales stretch since its inception, good luck selling an aging 19 demo over list, CC the GM, throw in the middle finger and move along to another dealer.

2 Likes

Most brands have different rebates for leases vs financing - at the end of the day if the sale price is the same and rebate is the same, why wouldnt they want to sell you the car, whether its a lease or a finance - my assessment is they cant get to that same discount due to rebate on lease not being close compared to a retail

also - when you lease a loaner, your residual will be affected by the number of miles currently on the car, so simply plugging in a residual from edmunds isnt effective

advertisements always show all applicable rebates to make number seem lower, then you get there and you arent a military veteran, a recent college grad etc. etc.

1 Like

I did adjust the numbers from Edmunds to compensate for the 6,000 miles already on the car. Residual was 54% for a 10k so I went with 51% for a 12k since the end result would be a car with 36k miles at lease termination. Admittedly, that was just me guessing how the miles would affect it, but I did try to account for its being a loaner in my numbers. The $500 payment was with that adjusted residual.

Good to know the advertised price is BS. You guys on here always seem to somehow get 15-20% off MSRP before incentives, so with my limited negotiating skills I just tried to look for cars that were already advertised with a solid discount off MSRP thinking alot of the work is already done for me. Knowing those prices are misleading at best, outright lies at worst, I’ll proceed differently. I guess I should file that under “duh” where car sales are concerned. :confused:

It’s possible. The incentive on a Dodge Charger Hellcat from the factory is $7,000 stronger on a purchase than on a lease.

1 Like

Check edmunds, for my zip what the dealer said is true, there are no lease rebates.
https://www.edmunds.com/jaguar/f-pace/2019/deals/

You are looking in the wrong place on edmunds. Create a username and post your zip code, lease term, and trim.

Edit: @ethanrs could probably clear this up quickly.

No, the link I posted is the quickest easiest way to determine rebates. If you need mf and residual sure ask your question but why wait for a response when you don’t have to?

That’s a premium 25t, right? Edmunds is hardly gospel

1 Like

Prestige -

Sport -

Not the guy you replied to, but I am the OP for this topic. $2600 is what I got from Edmund’s so you’ve confirmed that. Either way, I’m not getting a Jaguar. This dealership didn’t even want to give me the incentive till I told them I knew about it, and still not a penny off MSRP aside from the incentive. For a damn loaner. It’s nuts. They have over a dozen F-Pace retired loaners on the lot, most 2019 but even some 2018s left. Rotting. They are more of a Jaguar storage facility than a dealership. Zero motivation to work with anyone who won’t bend over.

There are two theories for situations like that

1). They have a lot of that unit as they sell often/many.

2). They have a lot of them because they never sell em.

This sounds like theory two.

1 Like

If that’s something you can share with me I will be more than happy to direct others to it. Haha