Dealership not selling out of state

I have run into a couple of dealerships both on West Coast and East Coast who say they are not willing to do out of state leases or deals, even if I am willing to pay cash. They attribute this to “COVID”. Is there anyone who has been able to convince the dealership out of this? Specifically looking for Rav4 prime. thanks.

Demand is high, supply is low. Why take on the additional headache of an out of state deal? That would be my guess on why you are not finding anybody willing to do out of state deals.

A broker may be able to help.

1 Like

If they don’t want to do the deal, you’re not going to convince them otherwise. Move on to a new dealer.

1 Like

This is not unique to Toyota. It’s just how dealerships run their business. Some do out-of-state, some don’t (various reasons - taxes, unwinding deals, fraud, etc). As mentioned, move on.

Only if you are willing to pay more for the car.

ive offered, they said no (rav4 prime). if any dealers willing to orchestrate, feel free to let me know.

I used to take a balanced view toward dealerships in the past. Not anymore,they have used Covid to treat customers very poorly.

Hopefully, customers remember this when the market flips, and it will.

yep, I agree.

They really could care less…

having said that, I just hung up on a dealer who was trying to get me to participate in an auction for an Rav4 prime,. and lecturing me for not willing to participate in bidding, and man did that feel satisfying.

people can be decent with each other. dont lecture customers if they dont want to play the games. one can be a decent person and still make a profit.

There are lots of reasons why it may be more effort than it’s worth for a dealer to deal with out of state buyers. I wouldn’t take it as a personal affront or in some way insinuating they’re treating customers poorly.

1 Like

for sure…I just was trying to understand why. I had one dealer who refused to talk to me when I asked them why (would not pick up the phone when the sales rep transferred me to the manager), and another who actually explained it honestly. theres a difference here in how customers are treated. they can still be decent humans.

I collect wine, and have bought across the country. Some places won’t ship out of state…I’ve asked sometimes, and gotten many responses from full explanations to being ghosted.

The seller doesn’t owe me an explanation…why would they waste their (and my) time as we won’t be doing business anyways.

1 Like

During the dot com boom we tried to buy a 3 series and had to wait hours in the dealership to even get a salesperson to talk to us. After the bust, they offer $25 gift card for a test drive. Also dealers don’t really care if you pay cash so I wouldn’t even mention it.

To a seller, there is no bigger waste of time than a buyer who continues to ask questions after being told to GTFO.

There are multiple toyota brokers on here, you can probably find one that will facilitate a deal (if they have inventory)

My primes are 2-3k over msrp. Not a great time to get one unless you get some tax breaks.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.