Dealership Economics...Do Some Need to Get a Bad Deal?

I’ve had the privilege (or sickness, depending on who you ask) to have bought over 50 cars for my wife and I over the past 27 years or so, and in nearly every instance I’ve worked very hard to get a good deal. Most times that required me to buy pre-owned cars, but there have been a few instances along the way where we bought new. Not many, but a few.

If I take my most recent E300 lease deal, I know that I squeezed something out that may be hard for others to replicate. In fact, the dealer even said the same and refused to sell me another car at a similar discount 60 days later. On the other hand, my neighbor leased a 2017 ES350 around the same time I got my E300, and he was commenting to me last night that he really didn’t think he got a good deal. It was his first lease, and so many numbers were getting thrown around at him that he really doesn’t know what happened. And his isn’t the first, nor I am sure the last, story of those types of experiences.

Then there are the ones that are in between. People buying advertised deal prices, being happy to get a 5% discount, an “overvalue” on their trade, etc.

So, I guess my question is, knowing how high the fixed costs are of your typical franchised automotive dealership, I wonder if it is a model where, well, “some must die so others can live”. You need a certain percentage of great deals in order to fund the bad deals so that you can stay alive. Granted, I know there’s other “back money” like manufacturer support, bonuses, unit thresholds, etc., and that fixed operations contribute a lot to a dealer’s bottom line, but would a typical dealer go out of business if they gave everyone a great deal? Or, would they just not be able to give me the latte bar, leather couches, and Dr. Oz on a 70" flat screen when I service my car?

Isn’t it obvious? Even though dealers depend greatly on backend products and with their service dept, if a dealer gives everyone a LHer-worthy type of deal, they would lose too much money to survive. WE actually need the general public to buy at non-LHer-worthy type deals so we can continue to get our deals.

4 Likes

Backend & Yearend bonuses help, but they make their money in service and not necessarily in sales…

Most people are lazy, if you’re not (great, i’m not either), but that’s probably why we do what we do.
Most don’t care about money factor or even know what an MSD is. While most know what residual is, they may not understand how it factors into a lease payment. Everyone had to learn at some point and I know no one was born with all of this knowledge, it’s just if you want to put the effort in…

Lol best quote ever! Some must die, so others can live haha

1 Like

Same with real estate. You want to sell at the highest price? See what your neighbors sold for. Someone has to sell first and eat a lower price.