Dealers refusing to give prices on leases (or purchasing) via internet

How this will play out: you’re going to waste a ton of your own time, a bunch of people’s time, get frustrated, and then overpay for a pos after you give up. The dealer who catches you when you have given up is going to eat nicely. It’s like the 5 stages of grief, but with car shopping.

18 Likes

Not true. I just got a Cadillac with my GM supplier discount and got the dealership to give me about $3k over KBB for my trade. He’s just going about it all wrong…

I can’t think a of a bigger waste of ones time, definitely not how you go about it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Everyone has to show off lol

Wow! You’re patient. As others have stated, times are different. Dealers are not going to be “given away” cars in this current market. Do your research and make them an offer. If you have to pick up the phone and speak to someone, what’s there to lose? Better than going into a dealership and wasting 2 hours of your time.

Have you checked out recent deals to see what an attainable deal looks like? If yes, what have you found?

1 Like

meme please

7 Likes

It isn’t easy and Palm Beach County is particularly frustrating due to lack of competitiony for all luxury brands, but as a general statement this is not accurate.

You and the other 100 people that inquired that day asking the same question. The best price doesn’t exist and if you are set on asking like that, you will be blown off every time.

I suggest you read some of the tips on how to actually approach dealers for pricing.

6 Likes

Sounds like a nightmare. Most sales people probably hate you unless your questions equal a big paycheck, which it sounds like it won’t. I know that the more time I spend with someone, the bigger return I expect. Same reason why historically, Euro delivery and dealer trades are often less discounted than in-stock cars. More work = bigger paycheck.

That is because he was making a mini and wanted to move onto brighter prospects and not because of excellent customer service.

Makes complete sense why you were unhappy with your experience. You are pulling numbers out your behind with no research. If you are simply payment shopping and going dealer to dealer, expect to be put through the ringer.

4 Likes

So when you shop monthly payments for a purchase, is that a 36 month loan? 48? 60? 120?

2 Likes

I have bought/lease many cars in my lifetime ranging to economical to super luxury vehicles and every time I visit the dealership I leave feeling icky. Without fail, they always do the dance and give you the run around. Before you know it, you have wasted 2 hrs and feeling frustrated leaving. For me, the smoothest and happiest transactions are over email/text to finalize deals before going to the dealer to sign paperwork.

4 Likes

Do you have a publisher?

6 Likes

This is how the next great American novel starts.

4 Likes

“Little did he know, he just walked into a trap I’ve been laying for months. It was timed perfectly with some pretend holiday sale. It didn’t matter that I spent this much time negotiating the price of a standard Toyota. The heart knows what it wants…”

To be continued.

3 Likes

So you were happy using @mani_is_kool in 2019, but didn’t think to use his services again in this very tough market?

9 Likes

The dealership was sultry…

1 Like

Fast forward 30 years…

And that is how grandpa paid $400/month w $2000@ signing for a base LE FWD Camry. Ahhh the memories in a Camry. One fine automobile. And to this day, I’m still friends w the man who sold it to me.

6 Likes

Just go see them??? I for once did that a few months back when I wanted to see what equity I had in my current lease and met me tell you, it was a complete waste of time. I went to 3 dealerships in a week and tried trading in my car with thousands in equity only to get extremely high prices across the board. They then said they were giving me the best deal, etc etc etc. Anyways they kept in contact with me calling me at least once a week and then text as well once a week. They continued to say we can work out a deal, I then said there is no deal to me made in the current environment with chip shortages, low inventory, zero incentives and cars selling at or above msrp. I said with all that in place could tell me how it’s even remotely possible I can land a possible deal that I’m will to areas work with. From that point on after saying what I said I haven’t heard back from them in weeks.
Anyone leasing now either desperately needs a new lease, doesn’t have a clue on what an actual lease is worth or 3 doesn’t care what the price is, they just gotta have a new car. I refuse to pay for any new lease at the current time and will delightfully and happily extend my lease and buy it out afterwards. The market tides will change, they always do and with a little patience I will wait until my next lease comes along for the amount I want to pay and not the inflated prices they are demanding.

1 Like

These things… are the same.

1 Like

Allow me to say this reads like a 50 shades of grey for dummies: high school edition.

Exactly what “manipulation” gets the salesperson to want a “win”?

And how does this “manipulation” of the salesperson change the fact they have no control if a deal rolls or not?

7 Likes