Dealers refusing to give prices on leases (or purchasing) via internet

Wow these dealers have some balls now.

I used a broker here to get a fantastic no money down deal on a Honda Accord sport with 15k/year miles and it was great, in 2019.

Now I’m shopping for a Honda ridgeline or a Hyundai Santa Cruze. There’s no wonder why brokers exist. These dealers are so insistant to “call me so we can talk” or “can you come in now?” when I simply ask for their best price. This is the most recent email response when I told him that I’m not going to waste either of our times by talking to him on the phone or in person unless I get the bottom dollar out the door price.

"the reason we don’t give numbers over the phone or email is for that reason exactly people like to whop our prices against us I promise you one thing if you give me the opportunity I will do everything I can to get the deal done but we don’t give numbers three phone or email so people can just shop us around if you come I promise to help you as much as I can if not I understand "

Of course the grammar is atrocious.

All I want is a fair deal… instead these dealers want to waste my time.

2 Likes

You have to cast a wide net.

May be the environment is tough but you should send inquiries to dealers outside of your regular commuting radius.

Some understand that a good price is a way to get you in.

This is nothing new. If you don’t like how they want to run their business, let your wallet talk.

4 Likes

I responded saying “please remove me from your once a day phone call list as I will move on from your dealership to a dealership that wants to actually sell a car to me” and I CC’d the dealership owner on it. We’ll see if anything comes from it. Yes it’s a dick move, and if the owner wants it run that way that’s fine.

6 Likes

I’m sure the owner doesn’t care as long as the daily/monthly/quarterly/yearly goals are met

5 Likes

The funny thing is this dealership lost me to the honda accord and I put that in my first email to the guy. It’s actually 100% true.

While admittedly we do not see that many Ridgelines or Santa Cruz on here, have you thought about making an offer via email?

Obviously this is once you’ve researched MF / RV & Incentives on Edmunds and have formed a solid reasonable offer.

1 Like

I agree with this… Its probably not the sales persons fault… Maybe their a small dealership… maybe they spend a large amount of time doing quotes when they know they cannot compete with larger volume dealerships… Its possible they work on service or proximity etc… It might be the dealership policy… Just move on and let it go

Dude…really? Have a little tact. Nobody owes you anything.

Most dealerships aren’t going to give you some amazing numbers right off the bat via email. Talk to them in person over the phone.

Your reply email to them makes you sound like a total d**k. With the way inventory is these days the dealership won’t lose a second of sleep with you going somewhere else. There’s a sucker right behind you willing to pay MSRP.

3 Likes

I’m not ever going to suck up to a dealership… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Largest dealership chain in SFL

I do love these types of posts, though.

First off, many folks at dealerships are professional negotiators. It’s literally what they do all day.

While many people think they are expert negotiators and do it once every 3 years.

Let’s be clear…when you write emails like this, dealers will never give you their best number because it is obvious you’re shopping around and no matter what they offer, you will ask the next dealership to beat it until you’re fighting over a government cheese sandwich/month. So, while you may not like their reply, they are simply vetting you to see if you’re serious so they don’t waste their time.

In this market especially, they don’t/won’t blow out cars. As some others have said, use the data and current market conditions to craft a deal you would accept. Make an offer that would are ready to accept…and go.

Do not stop into the dealership a handful of times as mentioned above. Biggest waste of time imaginable. Stores don’t want your gift cards. They want your business and your money…but only close to MSRP right now.

14 Likes

In the past 20 years I’ve done almost ALL deals via email - one I had to get on the phone and this last one I used a broker from here. Even Lexus did all negotiation via email. I have been to this dealership, 2 years ago, when I decided I’d give the in person routine another shot.

I hit Kia/Hyundai/Ford and Dodge… They are all big dealerships all on the same road.

I walked into each with what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. On the whole it was a complete waste of a day. Kia and Hyundai, even after telling me they had what I wanted, DID NOT have a single trim of what I wanted. Instead they tried to get me to go to a different car in that was at the highest level trim (I wanted the middle option) for around 300 more per month than what we had outlined before I went in. Walked out of there telling them that this is why I asked about the models they had and why they had lied to me. It became clear that their ONLY objective in life is to get you into the dealership and hope that they can dazzle you with new things and you’ll forget all about the fact that you would never pay redic high prices for cars that are supposed to be affordable.

Dodge laughed at me when I said I wanted a car that had excellent lane keep assist for no down payment and under 400 bucks. I remember someone saying “Frankly sir, you wont find that here”. Okay, at least he was honest, over I went to Ford.

I was looking at possibly getting the ranger, if the deal was good enough, even though no lane keep assist was avialable.

Walked in saying the same thing, no down payment 400 or under/month (lease or buy I didn’t care).

This dealership kept me there for almost 2 hours, test ride was fine as expected. They started off at stupid high numbers. 3000 down, 650 a month. okay 1500 down, 550 a month. At this point the guy had my license on his desk (he made a copy “for the test drive”)… and had taken my car key (ford explorer) so they could “value my trade in”. At the 2 hour mark I stood up and asked for my Key back. He apparently had handed it off to the manager guys behind the “big desk” - the folks he kept running over to when I kept rejecting deals. I walked over to the managers desk and said “I need my key back” and believe it not they refused at first. Asking me what I need to make this deal today. I repeated “nothing down 400 or less a month” and they all basically said “there’s no way we can do that” I said “Okay, give me my key” - at this point I leaned over his desk and found it was under some papers. When he refused to do it himself I reached over and grabbed my key and walked out. All while the sales guy was begging me to give him the number that can make this deal today. For the 30th time I repeated it and he said “well maybe we can get you into an escape for that” - I said “NO thanks” and left.

After that I came back here, found a broker named “Mani is kool” and 2 weeks later I had a honda accord sport 2.0t in blue with tinted windows for nothing down, 15k/year and pay 300ish for it, dent, scratch, rim and tire protection INCLUDED (have already used the tire protection once and it’s payed for itself).

I walked into the Honda dealership that Mani had arranged for me to go to and within 15 mins I was in the new car driving off the lot. The sales guy was impressed at the deal and didn’t even bother trying to talk to me about anything in the car… he said “you want to be out of here fast right?” I said YUP and signed the papers, walked out and was on my way. They even offered a free burger, sadly I had just had lunch.

Sure there’s a sucker waiting to pay, but since I have 13 months left, I figure eventually, especially with the Santa Cruz (as it is not a car/truck that appeals to the masses, especially with its short bed) they’ll be desperate enough to sell them.

The honda ridgeline I expect will be tough to find at any good price.

3 Likes

I don’t think any dealer is feeling the pressure to sell any car right now.

That said,

When you send out feelers, i feel it’s like a crapshoot. It depends on which salesperson you get, some do what they are told & walk the company line, just come to the dealership. Others figure out if you are kicking tires or are real interested & will proceed to close the sale vis email.

1 Like

Again…completely different market.

That dealership may have had 200 new cars on the lot 2 years ago. Today they have 10-20.

You think you’re gonna get to your goal by treating people like crap because you think you’re gonna get the same deal you got in 2019 but you’re just wasting people’s time and looking like a fool on the process.

Remember, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.

3 Likes

Maybe in NYC - down here in SOUTH Florida it’s a whole different game. I did have to get out of South Florida to get this deal on the Accord, I’m assuming it’ll be the same this time.

You’re not… you’re playing your side very smart.

I’m in Florida as well…just bought my XT6 in West Palm. Inventory is scarce everywhere. Dealerships aren’t desperate to sell a new car. You can ask for a certain deal but you don’t have to be so rude about it.

You’ll never get a good deal in SoFl… pretty standard you need to leave the area. Everyone buys cars at ask so they don’t have any incentive to give you a deal

1 Like

This is not how to negotiate or get the best deal out there. You’re making that point.

Mani got you a car for $300/month.

Imagine if you walked into that same dealer asking your initial question of trying to make out w a $400/month car and they/you accepted. Now you’ve left $3600 on the table.

7 Likes