Dealers keep asking to appraise my car for trade in

So in the last few weeks I have been looking into new leases. My current lease which is a 2016 Mazda 3 sport sedan. It only has 22050 miles on it. I checked out the true car price and it came in at a range of 8,900 - $11,000. But the residual value is 12500.

So is this just a sales tatitic the dealer is doing to get me into the door?

Yep, just trying to get you in the dealership. They shotgun those emails/flyers all the time.

If you’re looking to get out of your current lease I’d suggest taking a look at the offers that Vroom, Carvana, Carmax offer vs your current payoff.

But the appraisal is below your residual so you will lose money, not much of a sales tactic. Or are you implying the wide range? Those estimates aren’t accurate and the dealer will pay closer to the lower end of the estimate.

Get you in bait and switch offer to pay off your trade at 20% back of book and roll in negative equity on top of new lease or purchase

1 Like

Yeah I have had two dealerships ask me about my car. I give them the info and they say no they can’t do anything.

One dealership refuses to let me give them my Mazda info over the phone. They will only tell me if they want my car if I come in! I tell ya, some of these dealerships are just annoying. All I want is a good deal

Dealer tactics cant sell a car over the phone so they will tell you what you want to hear to come in. You could try to sell private party get a lil more money for it. Dealers buy back of book then resale its how they make money

No different than the realtors who keep calling/mailing me regarding my property that they have interested buyers in…everytime I call them back, I tell them to make me an offer from one of these mysterious buyers. Goose eggs so far.

Also, never trust a deal that ends in 99 dollars…100% chance they can go lower. They do it just for the optics…and while we’re at it, make sure if you say $350, they don’t add .99 (which they always do)…it’s another $36 in the dealers pocket, which adds up if you sell thousands of cars.

Good thinking on the 99 cents. Thank you