Dealers Are Getting Bored With No Cars to Sell

I have theories but I can’t say them on here.

8 Likes

theyre probably going to replace the more expensive people who aren’t producing anymore?

12 Likes

Anything that helps management’s bottom line!

1 Like

Blinker fluid disposal fee.

For many dealers, the lower the inventory gets, the less they discount / the more they mark it up, really trying to slow down the throughput as inventory dwindles and maximize profit. Perhaps to the point where you’re literally just waiting for someone desperate enough to pay way over MSRP on a Jaguar that may otherwise have had $10s of thousands on the hood. And you might be waiting for only 2 or 3 people are month that would do that. Not saying that’s necessarilly the case here though.

2 Likes

The “great reset” strikes again. Don’t worry there will be plenty of Evs to sell once you really really get bored…interestingly I haven’t seen them miss a beat through this shortage. Once China takes Taiwan is when things get a little more interesting with all these “shortages”.

We could be having a muscle car renaissance right now, but emissions and other regulations would never allow it.

2 Likes

I have a strong feeling that that chip manufacturer in Taiwan is already under outside control whether we can see it or not publicly…

2 Likes

How are used car sales? I mean obviously besides being better than new car sales.
Are most of your used cars from people trading in their old cars for new cars at your dealership? Or are a decent chunk people only flipping their used cars to you guys as a standalone transaction?

@Ursus

1 Like

ted-tv-show-seth-macfarlane

5 Likes

Now that’s funny!

It is at this point they stop being Hennessey Jaguar and become Hennessey Museum of Contemporary Jaguars

4 Likes

Haha sad, but true.

1 Like

Mostly trade-ins and auction purchases. We have had a few people try selling us their car, but it doesn’t make much of a difference for inventory size and we typically have to overpay for them.

1 Like

I don’t think dealers are bored, historically the new car stay on the lot for 70 days and sell at a discounted price below MSRP, today same car, sell in 2 weeks max and most likely will sell while in transit for $5k-$10K markup, Corollas where I live are being sold at $3k-$5k “shortage tax/ ADM / Market adjustment” plus $2k-$3k dealer added options, so on a Corolla a dealer might be making a minimum of $6k markup above MSRP, keep in mind holdbacks and difference between invoice and MSRP added, plus financing comissions, and to top that off, the car is selling in two weeks or less, so it doesn’t cost them like the 70 days car, I don’t think they are bored or hurting, they are flourishing, but I can be wrong!

I literally had one of my friends send me a photo of a colleague eating goldfish (out of the gallon size container) with chopsticks. I think things are slow…

6 Likes

You can be flourishing and bored. if cars are sold while in transit and little to no negotiation at well above list, and you have far fewer cars to sell (but more aggregate profit), it means your job is way easier, less time intensive and you make more with far more free time. At a certain point, you’re happy… but bored.

Until the dealership decides they don’t need nearly as many salesmen, and then you’re sad and bored.

4 Likes

by whom and to what benefit?

1 Like

Yep!

And if your pay plan is strictly unit based and not gross

This is boring and not fun

3 Likes