Dealer wants my newly leased 2016 electric car back after a week

i would highly recommend finding a contract lawyer. Most will consult without fee.

Hi, OP, this looks like free money for you.

Bringing back an old topic, but I have a feeling I got something similar going on now with a Lexus dealer. I did an out of state deal (in GA) and I am in Missouri. Got my wife a new RX350. Was happy with the deal, not the greatest ever, but well enough.

Sales guy asked for my zip to figure out taxes,all the numbers seemed right to me when I plugged in stuff on the leasehackr calculator. Just around $540 WITH taxes (7.8%), 4 MSD, (MF 0.00123), rebates, incentives, etc. When we signed the contract I couldn’t find a published MF anywhere, but they said yes it’s correct, don’t worry. All the numbers still matched up to around $540 a month, so was still okay with it.

Fast forward about a month, and the dealer is now saying they “forgot” to add in the state taxes for missouri, and toyota financial won’t accept the contract. They want us to sign a contract that now makes the payment $591, adding in the taxes on top of the current monthly. I did more digging around and found the rent charge, calculated out the rent charge to MF, and found they are charging a 0.00144 MF. They had also pushed a warranty of some sort, that was $750, but told me the MF would be reduced to essentially cancel it out. I had calculated that in order to make it work, the money factor after the warranty and MSD’s should be 0.00098. Current rent charge is $4095. I’m calculating it should be $2806, then when you add the state taxes, making the payment $541. Which is what I had originally agreed on.

So, does Leasehackr think this is just another yo-yo type deal, or did they legit forget. What standing do I have? Can’t register the car because toyota financial won’t send a property tax waiver sheet that the local DMV wants. I’m waiting on the dealer to respond and send out a corrected contract. Hoping they say “our mistake, updated contract in the mail”, but if they don’t?

They may have messed it up with taxes, but then they also charged you inflated MF. But in any case - it’s their problem. I would tell them to come and pick up the car at my house or adjust the lease to keep the same monthly with your state tax included.

1 Like

Yup. Tell them to pick up the car, you aren’t signing a new contract. I had a dealer once ask me to come back and sign a new contract with my wife as the co-signer. I told them they could take the car back and never heard from them again.

1 Like

What Ursus and Heelfan said.

1 Like

Call the leasing company and see what is going on first?

Yea, if we had the car registered and plates on it already, would agree. As of right now, still on the dealer plate that’s about to expire.

Taking the plates off the Escape we just sold privately and putting it on her car for now so she won’t get pulled over right away.

It’s tricky, but you can tell them that, and request a quick resolution. Or else - you park their car and no one will have it until the issue is resolved. Meantime, you can get a rental and when the dealer finally agrees to the original terms, ask for the rental reimbursement on top. I doubt they would want to take the car back.

Ended up spending an hour on the phone with Lexus Corporate, and waiting on the dealer to get this contract fixed. Giving them a few days before making more phone calls again… What a huge PITA.

Nalley Lexus of Roswell if anyone is wondering.

And now settled. Apparently going to be a huge pain to try and redo the contract and all that stuff. So the dealership is cutting me a $1500 check that would cover the difference for the taxes. Payment will still be “inflated” but giving me a lump sum check.

Which I’m alright with. Now to see about cancelling this $750 warranty that was supposed to give a rate reduction, ha.

2 Likes

Glad things worked out for you fellow 4RXer. :+1:

Good job sticking to your guns

Too much of this BS happening, especially to those with ideal scores. In future I’m going to sign papers, walk out and pick it up 3 days later or when they put it in writing that the finance was approved per original deal terms and I’ve called the finance office and verified.

1 Like

They don’t send papers right away, actually. There is a “cooling off” period when you can technically change your mind, so they wait.

That’s only in certain states. I know in CA, there is no cooling off period.

2 Likes

Why? You have leverage when you have possession

2 Likes

Yes, you are right…

In cali there is no cooling off period

Papers can be faxed and concluded with whomever the dealer does the finance with within 24hrs .

@max_g Re leverage- means absolutely nothing if they don’t get the finance agreed on their end:

“The standard California car contract only allows the dealer 10 days to find financing. If the dealer cannot honor your agreement, they must notify you that they are cancelling the contract. You must return the vehicle to the dealer.”

We all posture that we will win a yoyo scam but you sure as shit won’t if the finance can’t be concluded - the only folks that win out in this scenario are those who:

a) have actually got a legitimate finance agreement with the bank, and the dealers trying to play games such as the OPs example

Or

b) someone who can prove shady dealings to the manufacturers finance arm and get a courtesy pay out to make their deal work and make the customer go away like MConte did.

Who needs any of this shit though?

This is the scenario we are talking about, and in this scenario the last thing you want is the yoyo-ing dealer to have possession of the car.

I assume you were joking, but this forum has lurkers who might take you at face value