Dealer instructs to call corporate

So on ny wifes Grand Cherokee there have been some weird electrical issues and one issue keeps persisting, the panoramic sunroof. 4th time at dealer and it still having issues. Problem is it does happen and then starts working again in 12 hours or 24 hours. Then stops working and works again. Have pictures, videos, whatnot and last time they were even refusing to accpet the car as it was not doing it at that moment. So they keep finding stuff wrong with the fuse, then some shortage in another fuse, and its not even stuff not related to sunroof. So after this time wife send a long email and service manager said he will order a new computer and have a loaner ready for us when it comes in. Then 2 hours later, i guess the GM or someone higher replies too and asks that we should talk to jeep directly see if they can do somthing for us. I found that strange. Any idea why they pushing us towards jeep? Is that genuine the email or simply set us up to deal with corporate and out of their hands? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Maybe one of the brokers or dealers knows?

Full disclosure first time they reset the infotainment system and said they could do nothing on roof. Second time they kept car all day and did not even look at it and we took it back because we needed it. 3rd time they found some issue with the fuse of rain sensor for the wipers and 4th time i fought for them to take it and used some charm too :slight_smile: but they found some other issue where there was a shortage in something else.

I may be wrong, but they are probably referencing the lemon law, in which case you should contact Jeep.

2 Likes

I thought that too and my wife put that she will consider to discuss with an attorney but i am keeping my spirits up and hope it can be fixed. Have not looked at ny requirements yet but looks like they cant figure it out. Thanks Q.

4 or more attempts to fix, which seems to me you qualify for.

1 Like

Thanks. Will see what corporate says. Anyone has any tips please throw them my way. Will update and see how it goes.

1 Like

Start at the top. mike.manley@fcagroup.com. You’ll most likely trigger some sort of response on the executive support level, which could at least get you rolling in the right direction. The dealership probably would much rather be involved in more parts and labor intensive non-warranty work than stuff like this too, which I’m sure takes a tech out of commission long enough to not make it profitable for them.

This is actually true. I work for a supplier, and I have seen ranting lunatic emails to FCA top management roll down to our level.

I remember one - it was for a Caravan with 60k miles that had a blown engine, total looney email, read like a manifesto. Lady literally NEVER changed her oil. Not once. You’d think she’d be thrilled about getting 60k out of an engine on factory fill oil :rofl:

2 Likes

Now if you’re in the wrong, you’re in the wrong… But my experience is that a little executive support with a NICELY drafted email can grease the skids in your favor. My latest GM correspondence ended with a $1,000 dollar voucher towards a vehicle that I had to turn down because I had already leased, I didn’t want to risk losing the deal I had. But I did get a voucher for $750 dollars worth of accessories mailed to me today instead. You need to have a case that’s at least in the judgment call zone though, backed up with your enthusiasm for the product being sullied by the poor experience, alluding to the possibility of looking towards competitors in the future, but never threatening. Ultimately you want them to do something positive to sway you back in the direction of keeping loyal and spreading the word, not just trying to make you go away, even if that’s what they are really doing. Throughout my life my Win/Loss % handling issues this way is staggering. From expensive hockey skates that fell apart, to soundbars that cut out from WiFi interference, to vehicles, someone at the executive level has always done something to make the situation right, to the point that I usually just bypass other options pretty quickly.

4 Likes

True that. What was your issue, out of curiosity?

Failing shifter on a Malibu at 37k

Thanks everyone. Yes, I mean the wife is more upset and believe me email was not threatening just outlined all the times we were there and simply the issue cannot be resolved and simply said if no resolution will discuss situation with an attorney. Thanks the email as well. I assume Mike is someone high up? We had to cover thesunroof with big plastic bag one day as it was stuck open and it rained bad. Dealer refused to bring the car that day but insisted to bring it a few days later. By that time roof worked again and when i brought it in 4th time they were refusing to take the car, which pissed me off a bit but believe me i tried to be reasonable and finally they took it again. And on the 4th time they were telling me bring it in when it happens. I mean changing advice however it suited them.

Mike Manley is the new CEO of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, having just replaced the dearly departed Sergio Marchionne. Given his new title and the shoes he’s filling, perhaps his team might have some extra motivation to make this right for you and your wife. Good luck!

Should have known i guess. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Depending on the situation I have had luck with what’s referred to as an “Executive email carpet bomb” where you hit the whole chain of command with similar, or the same email, but with GM I just went straight to Mary Barra and it got passed along properly, I heard back within 24 hours. So a more surgical strike may work in this case, and I was working last night so I didn’t have time to find everyone’s emails lol.

I’ve never before considered skipping the chain of command like that… I’m military, so going straight to the top is more than frowned upon… Because of our rigid structure, we are taught to absolutely hold the organizational order to it’s strictest path.

Maybe I’ll email Peter Schreyer after I get my Stinger back about my displeasure with the entire process, CC Albert Biermann as well! Haha

I can attest to this. Those at the top receive hundreds if not thousand of emails a day. This will drag on and on since they know the drill on what to do. The email may even be passed on to someone in the lower rank or they can refer you to regional ofc. It will only get their attention when, a) there will be a potential big lawsuit like someoen died , b) you made a viral video about your complaint or c) your name ends with gates, buffet, zuckerberg or the likes.
Well, i guess none of that matters if the one in charge will just delete your email rant and give you the finger like elon musk.

Elon is learning that he can’t pull this kind of stuff within a publicly traded company and get away with it. Bottom line is that nobody wants to be the one to push a problem up to the next level to be dealt with by someone with more authority. Letting it fall to the proper level with the message of “take care of this” from the higher ups has always worked better for me, because that approach ends up imputing more authority than usual to the person who ends up with it in their lap, even if they should have had it in the first place.

Don’t start at the top. You have nowhere to go from there.

And give people a chance to do their jobs. Enough emails from the top will then cause someone at the middle management level to show they are being “proactive” and “ensuring accountability” by scapegoating someone below them and firing them.

1 Like

My personal experience over the years is that most people in management positions will “do their job” to the least acceptable extent possible. Being told by superiors at the executive level to “take care of this” infers a greater degree of importance and attention to the matter. That’s just my two cents.

The problem is the middle managers spend much of their time trying to justify their very expensive existence in the hierarchy. They will throw an underling (someone who perhaps never even got a chance to do their job) under the bus just to make themselves look better.