2023 Subaru WRX - Deal or No Deal?

Not sure how you benefit from this structure? Almost $18,000 in payments for a car that costs 30

1 Like

We started at $0 down $567/mo. Maybe this car just doesn’t lease well. I do like it I have to say…

Sometimes that is what really matters.

Get the absolute best deal you can on a lease compared to a purchase if it makes sense for you, and simply ignore the autoreplies from the “never lease” crowd that will always find a flaw even with the best deal.

2 Likes

I can kinda sorta get it. If you finance it, the clutch job you’ll be on the hook for at around year four will exceed 10% of the car’s value… That’s the sort of thing that really kills it for me.

I only buy manuals…not many great manual lease /finance options out there I have to say. I could go used but the maintenance and repairs I’d be responsible for could add up quick. Trying to weigh this one out…I’m on the fence and from what I understand for WRX numbers this seems good?

I tried to find some more data to put the deal into context. I don’t think it’s frequently leased, so it’s a little tough.

I also tried to find other cars that might fit the bill and… yeah, probably not!

Manual Golf R also seems insane, especially now that they announced it will be DSG-only going forward.

Yeah I’ve heard even from the dealer that they don’t ’lease well’. They are taking a roughly $1k loss on it on this deal with me from what I could gather. Not many manual lease options that aren’t insane out there!

1 Like

Post your best attempt at a calculator.

I fixed your title to be more descriptive.

Why are you leasing versus buying? Just to save a few $ a month over the course of 3 years? You will end up spending more in the long run.

i rather buy an elantra N

2 Likes

And pay for the fixit tickets? CA doesn’t like that illegall factory exhaust setup :rofl:

1 Like

Cheaper to lease. Look at the mOnThLy

First off… Sorry @DailyDriven . You picked a bad example to call out max_g on his “finance is better” trope. Normally I’m all for someone telling max_g to stop telling people how bad leases are on a leasing forum. But, this is one of the cases I agree with him where financing this with a loan to sell later probably makes more sense.

Especially with the lease MF at .00267 and Subaru offering 2.9% over 48 months right now. The monthly effective cost if financed/sold after 36 months into the 48 month term is much less than the effective lease (which I tried to replicate).

Disclaimers:

1. the 62% residual for a 36 / 15k feels very high. This could be mega-propped up. But it’s what the LH RateFindr spat out. If 3 year old WRX typically go for much less than 62% of MSRP… maybe financing becomes less attractive since the 62% resid would be unreliable.

2. I can’t seem to get it to work with a $433/mon result (see link below). $433 makes the comparison even worse for leasing. So yeah. Please try to finance this instead if your monthly budget allows.

3. I think the dealer put $443 of government fees in the cap cost that weren’t itemized by @Wandson_Santana

4. Even if they added the opportunity cost of the equity-capital in the car through the financing option, I don’t think it’d skew the side-by-side in favor of leasing.

5. I zeroed out the disposition fee… because on the financing side it assumes you sell the car without recon or pack.

2 Likes

Don’t be sorry, as i’m not because I didn’t tell him to take the posted deal but said “get the absolute best deal you can on a lease…… if it works for you.”

That speaks for itself.

The comments about the dipshittery of the broken record anti-leasers remains.

3 Likes

I thought Subaru WRX manual should be one of the car who hold value very well, Yes the market is limited but the one who wants to buy it, will pay for it. For that reason, and the Subaru financing promo listed above, I will just finance it if I want this car. YMMV

1 Like

Here is the deal sheet

Which is what, $1,500? That’s a killer compared to spending 100+ percent of a car’s price over two leases?

Besides a consumable like a clutch is YMMV. It depends on how you drive.

1 Like

I think these days they’re a hair over $2,000.

For me, the entire point of this car is that it has lots of grip and a punchy turbo engine. If you drive it accordingly, the clutch will not last 100,000 miles.

This is just my opinion. I’ve driven them, I’ve known people who owned them and went through this (they don’t typically replace with stock parts), but I have not personally owned one myself. I have had to deal with an expensive clutch replacement on a different vehicle though. :frowning_face:

KBB for price reference with options etc.