Deal Check - XC90 Loaner in Minnesota

How much should a loaner knock off the MSRP of the Volvo? I am not going to take this deal, but I had my local Volvo put together a price on an loaner XC90.

• MSRP: 63,325
  • Sale Price: $54,532.36 (this includes the discount for being a loaner, Costco, and Loyalty)
  • MF: .00186
  • Residual: 37,995
  • $3,000 drive off (includes first payment, tax, title, license, cap reduction)
  • Somehow came out to $699/month

My best attempt at the calculator. I’m not exactly sure how he got to $699/month given these:

Doesn’t seem great to me, especially considering it’s a loaner.

On a loaner, I’d target somewhere in the 15-17% range, before incentives.

Not all dealers can get there.

This discount isn’t even enough post-incentive, much less pre-incentive.

Loaner gets a per mileage residual value knock down and they may be marking up the MF

Got it. Thank you for the quick response! I understand these sales guys are just doing their job to maximize profit for the dealer, but damn. Seems like a classic anchoring technique - Anchor me at $699/month with $3,000 down, and then when he’s magically able to get to $699 with “only” $1,000 down, it feels like a huge win for me. Benedetto has some pretty killer deals right now, but I wanted to test drive it first which led me to getting that quote.

He did quote me a residual value of 37,995 - So sounds like that isn’t the case with the loaner and the other information he provided.

I really appreciate the quick feedback. I’ll keep working on them and tracking the other Hackr deals here to find a good deal.

Do yourself a favor and calculate what this should cost BEFORE you talk to a dealer. That way you’ve anchored yourself.

Check out @Benedetto’s mid-West deals and hire him

1 Like

Agreed! I’ve been chatting with him. Just wanted to test drive the vehicle first to make sure I had a chance to see the 6s configuration and feel the T6 vs. T5 (which my wife has), which led me to getting the quote. I had already seen Benedetto’s prices, so wasn’t phased when the dealer came back with the outrageously high price. In general, I just wanted to figure out the discount % for a loaner vs. new.

Thanks for all the tips! My only issue now is that my wife isn’t thrilled about us both having XC90s. :roll_eyes: I told her they lease the best, and if we love them, who cares.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a V60/90 to me.

2 Likes

Yes, what @mllcb42 said! V60CC is practically free

Thanks for all the tips! My only issue now is that my wife isn’t thrilled about us both having XC90s. :roll_eyes: I told her they lease the best, and if we love them, who cares.

Me- 2019 XC90 T6 Bursting Blue R Design
Wife - 2020 XC90 T5 Ice White Momentum

When you like them, you like them! To be fair she had a 2016 XC90 first and I liked that one so much I got one. Last 3 cars we leased…ALL XC90s!

And yeah that is a lot for a loaner…

1 Like

Haha. Same! My wife got the XC90, and I love it. She also has the white, which is why I said my velvet blue will look completely different. :slight_smile:

@Ursus - I really should rethink going back to a car. We switched to two SUVs when our first was born because we never know who will be picking up/dropping off, but that happens so infrequently.

A wagon is going to be more than enough for one kid!

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/v60-cross-country check out the interior view.

If you go back to a car or wagon check out @Bostoncarconcierge’s black V60 T8 Polestar! I’m drooling over this thing.
$3000 out of pocket (plus maybe shipping to MN) but WAYYYYY under $700 a month you got quoted for a loaner XC90. Guaranteed you will have the only 415 hp wagon in your area!

2 Likes

It sold within 30 mins :slight_smile:
Thanks for the shout!

3 Likes

V90CC deals are

Minus the creepiness

Wagons are not cars, especially CC. V60 has higher ground clearance than Tuscon and like 17" longer. More than enough space, V90 is even bigger.

1 Like

True true. I still have a little “station wagon” PTSD from riding around in my parent’s when I was younger. Those definitely are not those wagons though. That V90 looks awesome. Might need a trip back to the dealer to check those out…

1 Like

Alright - On further consideration, those V90s are :kissing: (not sure if that’s the chef’s kiss emoji). The $2,000 Costco helps as well! I’m going to be on the lookout for a V90 CC.

1 Like