Deal Check Please: VW 2023 ID4 Pro S RWD

I’m looking for some input on this lease offer for a VW ID4 Pro S. Dealer is located in Connecticut. The dealer has 11 of the same model on the lot, and mentioned that they have “so many” of this model, so I’m wondering if there’s some more wiggle room here on price? This will be my first ever lease (I’ve always bought my cars and kept them for 10+ years) so any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

36 months/12k miles a year
Cash Down & payment
1,500 – 463 per month
2,000 – 446 per month
2,500 – 431 per month

Best Price First Before Rebate: 51,101.00
Discount: 3,822.00
Rebate: 10,250.00
Adjusted Price: 37,029.00
Offer to Purchase: 1,500.00
Trade Difference: 35,529.00
Taxable Fees (Estimated): 547.00
DOC FEE L: 599.00
Tax: 723.65
Non Tax Fees: 799.00
Balance: 38,197.65

Did you value your trade anywhere else to make sure they aren’t stealing it?

It’s a 2014 Kia Soul with 132k miles and a few battle scars. Another dealership (non-VW) offered 1600 as a trade in, but the salesperson honestly made me feel so uncomfortable as a woman car shopping solo, that I didn’t push them or go back to negotiate.

If I recall correctly, the KBB is around 2500 for the car. I was considering a trip to Carmax to see what they’d offer for comparison.

Does that rebate figure include the state CHEAPR rebate of $2250? I think the PRO S qualifies, but not sure.

The 7.47% discount could probably be a bit better, especially if, as you’re saying they have a bunch of RWD models on the lot that probably aren’t very popular in CT due to the winter driving.

Have you looked at any of the brokers in Marketplace just to compare what they are offering to what you’re getting at your dealer. I know AutoCompanion has some ID.4 options in their sheet.

Isn’t the Ariya a much better deal in your region?

I believe it does include the 2250, but on the price sheet they gave me, it doesn’t provide a breakdown of the rebate amount. I will make sure I ask about this. And I’ll check out the Marketplace too. Thanks!

For some reason, the Ariya never really caught my attention. I’ll take a closer look at this one.

2 Likes

The Ariya has a really strong deal on 18 month leases in CT. Not sure if those incentives will stay the same in February, but if you have time to do some shopping this weekend, it’s worth a look.

There are two ways you can play this

Buy an EV with a 5-6 year plan like an Ioniq 5 with $3-,4000 discount before $15,000 Hyundai rebates. Sell it once it’s worth around 20k to a dealer looking for EV inventory they’ll price at $24,999 for the used car federal tax credit. This will likely be your cheapest option on an annualized cost basis.

If you want to pay a bit more to churn quickly, look at the Ariya. Just remember there’s no guarantee you’ll find a deal as good as that once it ends, so put some money away and be mentally prepared for some possible future sticker shock.

The ID4 is neither here nor there.

1 Like

Excellent advice.

With the Ioniq 5 you’re getting what is probably the best EV SUV you can get for your money. There’s always a risk that the EV rebates offered by the feds will go away before the 5-6 year plan can be executed, so it’s hard to know what the Ioniq 5 is going to be worth.

I was really trying to stay away from anything Kia or Hyundai. It’s been an anxious couple of years with the whole ‘Kia Boyz’ nonsense and having to deal with using a steering wheel lock.

What you say makes some sense though. You’ve given me new ideas to consider. Much appreciated.

I think I know which dealerships you are talking about. They have all rebates incorporated but if you call around with their numbers you might get a better deal. Their GM won’t go any lower - spoke to him multiple times and it’s “I know what I have” and the price I have is good enough for him.

See if you want Pro S or can get away with PRO or PRO AWD. The reason is their MSRP is below $50k which will qualify you for $2,250 of CT EV reabte. PRO S I think is above that threshold and you aren’t getting it.

Remember Arya 18 months lease doesn’t qualify for CT rebate as lease should 24+ months. And best Arya lease if you can find a unit that has also “in stock unit rebate” applied AND "owner loyalty. Without last two rebates it is not that much different from ID.4. Also, ID.4 gets 3 years of EA supercharger while Arya get 1 year of EVgo. A lot harder to find Evgo in CT than EA if you plan to take advantage of that.

1 Like

This is very helpful! The 3 years of EA charging is definitely a selling point with this vehicle. I realize that I’ve read your previous post about the ID4, and these numbers are from the dealership that has that fancy website calculator. They presented themselves as a “no haggle” dealership, which sounds nice in concept, but I question how accurate that actually is. Can I ask which dealership you ended up going with for your purchase?

Will pm you. Don’t want to blast their names especially these were close to one off.

Not an issue with a 2022+ Hyundai product with ignition, let alone a BEV.

technically true, but how many Kia Boyz are going to know the difference?

the concern is understandable, especially since it seems she is speaking from personal experience.

Sadly, I do find this to be the case. I work at a high school, and the number of teenagers who have told me they can steal a Kia in less than 4 minutes is alarming. None of these 14 year olds can tell the difference between model years, they just smash the windows and see if they can get it to start so they can go for a joyride and post it on Instagram.

Kia’s response to it all has been laughable at best. Leaving work every day wondering if I’ll be able to drive myself home is a stressor im ready to be rid of.

The whole debacle is one of the reasons I’m leaving towards an EV. The idea of something totally different than what I’ve been dealing with is very appealing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.