Deal Check/Feedback: 2020 BMW X3M Used Purchase

Looking to purchase a 2020 BMW X3M from Carmax with 13k miles, loaded options, for $59,998. Went a bit out of the way to drive it today and love it, the vehicle would be for my wife so I’m getting it transferred over to a carmax near us so she can drive it/buy it.

Link to Car

Weirdly enough, this seems like the best deal around right now, however I would still love feedback on a few things:

1. Those of you that leased/bought one of these, how’s it been so far? Highs/lows? Loves/Hates?

2. Deal Check: I know awhile back people were getting these at quite a bit off new, but doesn’t seem like that’s possible these days.

3. Warranty: The Maxcare seems like a great option to be fully covered for 5 years, however the car still has 2 years/37k miles left on factory warranty. Any suggestions for extended warranties I could look into that I could buy closer to the end of the factory warranty?

4. Any other feedback/thoughts on the vehicle/deal would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Maybe skimming through this thread

I don’t know about the x3m but the m40 seats are very uncomfortable. Lots of fun to drive around town but I wouldn’t recommend for longer trips unless you are okay taking a break every 40 minutes.

1 Like

Ahh. Reading through this now.

1 Like

Interesting you said that.

I test drove one last year thinking I’d fall in love like most do, and I hated the seats. It made me feel disconnected to the car. I couldn’t get around that.

1 Like

Damn these negative reviews have me second guessing myself. We’ll both test drive it again later this week and Carmax also has that 30day money back guarantee so two chances to change my mind still…

Am hoping for one or two people that love theirs?

Sorry I was referring to the x3 m40

I haven’t driven an X3M

@Bacons_C.C doesnt login on sundays but he prob has some good advice despite being built like the wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man.

Also, owning one on CA roads v New England roads is probably a very different experience.

1 Like

I had a 2019 x4 m40 and loved everything about it except the seats. Couple months ago I had an opportunity to buy a 2021 x3 m40 below trade in value. I went to test drive it hoping they fixed the seats in the newer models but after 40 minutes in the car I felt the same discomfort. Good thing I knew about the issue and asked for an extended test drive.

1 Like

@Lucas_Tanaka - I apologize for @Bostoncarconcierge sarcastic comments when you are trying to get some honest feedback about a car - It is always hard for him when the school year starts back up because he is always getting stopped and threatened with a truancy ticket or picked up and dropped off at the local middle school - so please bear with him durning this hard time

I have had 4 X3 Ms in the last couple of years - 2 MY20s, 1 MY21 and 1 MY22. i would have to agree with others that the ride is a little stiff for a daily on both MY20/MY21. The vehicle is built like a firm high performance vehicle, but after a couple hundred miles, you do not want that firmness but a more enjoyable ride . MY22 finally softened the ride and you only get that stiffness when you put it in the different modes.

I would probably look at the M40i for the perfect blend of performance and daily

10 Likes

Is your wife used to performance cars ? I swear a significant chunk of this niche is guys buying their wife the SUV they want, but also thinking it’s somewhat the sports car they also want to be able to drive sometimes/ an excuse to buy a 500 hp car.

It will prob ride very rough compared to traditional SUV, so unless they specifically want a performance SUV they prob aren’t going to like it. Have seen this scenario over and over.

2 Likes

I had a non comp 2020 that I drove for 14 months and sold back to the dealer for at the beginning of 2022. The one thing I would recommend is driving both a comp and non comp. I felt like the comp package made a nice difference and really wish I would have had that.

@Bacons_C.C Thank you for the in depth feedback on @Bostoncarconcierge - It was a beautifully painted picture.

@Bacons_C.C Basically you’re saying MY22 is finally a good DD while the previous years feel too stiff for daily life. Was it a tleast fun to drive on a consistent basis?

@Pinhigh27 She had a beat up corolla for awhile then a 2011Toyota Camry for the past 6-7 years and drove my 17 Tacoma TRD Pro around alot. So she hasn’t had a luxury/comfortable car yet. However she’s open to something sporty and fun after enjoying our brief stint with the F150 Lightning (we flipped it) - loved the power but didnt love how big/un-agile it was.

@buster11xx Would love a comp but am really just looking for best used deal at this time.

Either way this has been super helpful everyone. Going to plan to look at some more comfortable sporty suv’s just in case.

Absolutely fun car to rip on - do you need that much horsepower? Not at all - I would be perfectly content with a M40i - currently have a M550i in the garage and perfectly content with that

1 Like

We have a 20 X3 xDrive30i and have done several 2-4K roadies…seats are fine to us…we are slim tho! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree the X3M is overkill for an SUV…heck my wife’s xDrive30i is pretty darn quick…and great mileage for SUV.

Owned both the X3M and the X3MC. Phenomenal cars. Definitely on the stiffer side if you’re looking from the comfort perspective. I personally never minded it. A blast for sure.

1 Like

She loved it. Thanks for the feedback everyone! Car is amazing.

16 Likes

Probably my favorite color choice. Enjoy!

1 Like

Congrats on the new ride!

1 Like

Congratulations!!!

What are you coming out of?

I had a 2020 X3M for about 15k miles and I miss it.