Deal Check: CX90 Premium Plus PHEV

, , ,

Lease newbie here. Have looked on other posts here as well but still a bit confused. We have not leased a vehicle before but since we would not qualify for the 7500 credit otherwise and since we live in DC and it has lower taxes for hybrids, we are considering leasing the CX90 PHEV Premium Plus with one pay buyout.

I spoke to a dealer here in MD, and they showed me the comparisons which said that buying would still be cheaper even with the 7500 credit (for the Premium Plus). It was 800 for 36 months no money down with a residual of around 35,800. We planned to do a one payment lease then buy but was told would still need to make the full lease payment so would be (64,600 v. ~58k with buying). Does this sound right or are we missing something? Should it not be cheaper if we are paying it off after one payment?

36months - 800 payment, no money down

Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price 58,825.00
Discount 3,150.00
Rebate 7,500.00
Adjusted Price 48,175.00
Doc Fee 500.00
Tax 820.00
Non Tax Fees 1,032.00
Balance 50,527.00

Buying:

Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price 58,825.00
Discount 3,150.00
Adjusted Price 55,675.00
Doc Fee 500.00
Tax 1,685.25
Non Tax Fees 462.00
Cash Deposit .00
Balance 58,322.25

Ive never seen a dealer actually get the buyout terms correct and understand that you do not pay the sum of the remaining payments plus rv.

Thanks, I was confused by that as well. I cant imagine they have not run into this before but the one lease payout seemed to be new to this person. Another Mazda dealership which was terrible (sleazy sales manager) offered a much higher price but said the same thing so wanted to confirm. Thanks again.

You would think.

It is mindblowing how clueless they usually are about the contract terms of the contracts they’re pushing.

No the dealer is incorrect.

However may I ask why would you want to buy this car? I have it and really like it. I would not buy it though for several reasons. One of which is that I believe as soon as the battery technology improves - be it increased range or charging speed or BOTH - then I imagine this car’s value will plummet. Very good lease candidate. I paid $12,500 all in for a 2 year one pay in NY.

These were better deals as a 2 year lease. I pay $480 a month for mine…same trim…$800 a month would be a truly bad decision

Ask them if they take S Plan and how much would it be. (I think it’s 3525 off). If it is , then sign up for SCCA for $100 and save 275

You can probably find a better value than this

Are you planning to plug in regularly or use it as a traditional hybrid?

Do you need the third row at all?

1 Like

Thanks for the data point!

Good to know. And of course! No real reason other than that we have always bought cars and ran them into the ground. In this case, we had another kid so now have two kids under 3 and a 75 lb 9 year old so need more space than our 3 year old Volvo XC60 provides. With that said, I am rethinking based on some of these comments. Our 2021 XC60 Hybrid gives 21 and the new XC60 now gives 35 pure electric in 3 years.

We had another kid so now have two kids under 3 and a 75 lb 9 year old so need more space than our 3 year old Volvo XC60 provides which is a 5 seater. Plan to use it as a hybrid but would be fine without.

Thanks for the tip, will look into it!

This SUV does not offer much room just fyi and the trunk is a joke

Something like a Kia Sorento PHEV immediately bought out after leasing through Ally might be a much better value.

Or a traditional purchase of a Toyota Highlander

Had one as a rental car a few weeks back. It took all of two carry-on sized backpacks to fill the trunk. Ridiculous.

Is that true even with 3rd row folded?

It was a caution for the original poster, who appears to have 3 kiddos.
The second row has 2 captain chairs. You can fold the rear seats down and have the capacity of a small trunk. To add to the humour, Mazda decided to slope the trunk downward toward the tail. Great for having your stuff roll out😎

Just to be clear I think that this car is great. It just might not meet everyone’s needs

Yeh the trunk space didn’t seem to be a lot but with the seats down would be better. I forgot to add 75lb 9 year old “dog” instead of a third kid lol

1 Like

Haha yes I noticed that. We also looked at the Subaru Ascent and Acura MDX as well. also I should have said 75lb 9 year old “dog”. Left out a key word as to why we are looking for captains chairs lol